gun shots

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by DRAKE835, May 25, 2005.

1. DRAKE835

DRAKE835 New Member

how old should the puppy be when you first introduce it to gun shot noise right now she is about 14 weeks old and all kinds of new load noise's just scare her to the point where she will shake like a leaf
    is it normal for her to get this scared of load noise's i am a new puppy owner and this is all new to me
    thanks in advance

2. pintaildreamer

pintaildreamer Active Member

I would introduce noises as soon as possible. My last pup was introduced to gun fire in this way-- I drove to a nearby gun club, parked about a 1/2 mile from the club. Then walked my pup towards the noises very gradually and slowly always reassuring her with praise. There were so many exciting smells that she was not concentating on the noises. when we got to the club she was very interested to see what was going on --the noises did not bother her.

3. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>Do not take the pup anywhere near a shooting range!&nbsp; This is one of the biggest mistakes made by novice trainers.&nbsp; With that being said, just because the pup is startled by noises, does not mean she will not tolerate gun fire.&nbsp; The best way to break the dog in or to reverse the fear of gunfire is to build up that intensity to retrieve.&nbsp; That should allways be done before any stress is initiated during the hunting drills or scenarios.&nbsp; Obedience is the base of all training, but should be kept seperate from the retrieveing.&nbsp; A little drill such as making the dog sit &amp; stay before retrieving just gives the young dog another reason NOT to want to return to you immediately.&nbsp; Make the retrieving fun until the intensity is so high that he/she shows you that all they want to do is retrieve.&nbsp; That is the point I introduce or reintroduce the gun.&nbsp; Start at a long distance at the same time having the dog mark a fall.&nbsp; If that goes OK, start moving in closer.&nbsp; I have never used a small calliber hand gun.&nbsp; If I have a young pup, I get them used to loud noises allways giving them something positive to associate with it.&nbsp; The key is building up that desire and love for doing what they were bred to do and properly introducing the gun in association with that activity.&nbsp; If you want to use noise of any kind during the young puppy stages, make sure it is done with the litter mates.&nbsp; The intensity changes when the pup is alone or recently taken away from his litter mates.&nbsp; If I can walk you through this via telephone or email, feel free to contact me.&nbsp; Again this is another thing I do against the traditional training methods.&nbsp; IF we were talking competition, then your pup is one I would not have picked from the litter.&nbsp; They ALL will do what is needed to be a good companion hunting partner.&nbsp; Competition is another mentality.&nbsp; I have spent over 40 yrs developing my techniques strictly related to each different personality of dog, and sometime the handler.&nbsp; Starting in 2006, I will not be running hunt tests and have not run field trials in over 20 yrs.&nbsp; Much more interested in specializing on preparing the companion hunting dog and handler for an enjoyable experience.&nbsp; I will continue to train for tests and trials for those clients that like the games, but most of my activities will be directed toward behavior modification, problem solving and training for the companion hunting dog.&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim</P>