Grouse

Discussion in 'Upland Hunting Ohio' started by jeff51814, Jan 2, 2016.

1. jeff51814

jeff51814 Well-Known Member

Me and the boys hunted Pike county for the first time in 6 or 7 years yesterday. Man, tough to remember all your spots after that long away. And boy have some/most of them changed. We only hunted about 2hrs total. No flushes, but one solid point(my son thought he saw it glide off the hill earlier).
    I think we're going again tomorrow.

2. Chocdawg

Chocdawg New Member

In 2016 consider a long weekend trip to Northern MI or the Upper Peninsula to chase grouse. It will not disappoint in November. Some grouse in southern Ohio but one will burn a lot of shoe leather. Enjoy.

3. peanut

peanut Active Member

I'm no expert, but I'm told that grouse are on an approximate 5 year cycle. I saw/flushed a boatload last year while deer hunting in PA during gun season. This year, same time same place. No grouse. Flushed quit a few in geauga/Trumbull County in 04 and 05. Again, I'm no expert, but I'd say there are more wild grouse in Ohio than pheasants.

4. Chocdawg

Chocdawg New Member

Yes, grouse are cyclic. Farming practice (efficient) and lack of habitat has helped to greatly reduce native pheasant populations in Ohio.

5. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]
    But, oh, how we used to love to chase them down in Morgan County when they were plentiful! Know several guys who love to hunt them in Michigan every fall.

6. tjeep

tjeep New Member

I can still put up 4 or 5 on my farm in Adams County, but I won't kill them.

7. jeff51814

Lower Michigan is OK, depending on the where you hunt, and where they're at in the cycle(it's 10ish yrs, not five). It's never(IMHO) anything to write home about. I even gave Will some spots to hunt in the Mio/Luzerne area.

But if I'm driving 10+ hours to hunt grouse(U.P. from cincy), I'm going to Wisconsin. No part of Michigan can compare for numbers.

There's still more than enough birds in southern Ohio and northeast Ky to keep me interested. You just have to know where to look.

8. jeff51814

And, my 12yr old son killed his first grouse Sunday. To say he was happy, is understating it juuuuuuuust a bit!
    I was one proud dad as well

[​IMG]

9. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

Quit grouse hunting once I moved to NE Ohio, grew up in WV in the 80 s and it was nothing to flush 20 a day. I still have had great hunting in Michigan, moved over 60 in the Manistee forest this year over 4 days.

10. jeff51814

The late 70's and 80's were pretty awesome in Ohio as well. I actually killed 30 birds in Ohio in 2001. But I hunted a fair amount, and had a pretty impressive string of dogs. KY is still pretty underrated for grouse hunting.
    I've chased them(and tagged along) for over 40yrs. I've hunted them in 7 states, and NOTHING compares to Wisconsin. Not even Minnesota. I would however, like to go to Maine. A grouse hunting friend of mine killed a moose up there. He said that they're EVERYWHERE, like starlings!

I think it's laughable that the ODNR has closed Feb. hunting, and lowered the bag to 2 birds daily. Like not killing them, is going to save grouse in Ohio.

11. jeff51814

We hunted Ohio again Saturday. Got a late start(about noon) hunted 3 1/2 - 4 hrs and got up 3. One out of a tree, and those are tough. I never got a look at it. Dog had a pair pointed, maybe 35yrds out. He moved a bit, they flushed. Had on fly 90* to the right to somewhere we couldn't find. The other flew straight over my youngest (Mr Killer as he'd like to be know!! Haha) and he hasn't mastered swing through yet so it went behind us. We tried to get it back up. Dog pointed where I figure it lit. He held solid, but it flushed out of sight about 30yrds ahead us.
    Oh well, a good time was had by all.

I gotta say,now my boys are old enough to bird hunt, and I am SO OVER waterfowling. Sure we'll still go now and again. But, we'll hunt grouse and pheasants till it gets cold and the birds show up. But just going goose/duck hunting, for goings sake, is a thing of the past for me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  12. peanut

peanut Active Member

I should take you to PA. Nobody hunts them where we go. You could whack a limit of stocked pheasants (you can kill hens) and get your grouse all in the same day.

I gave up on waterfowling a couple years ago myself. No time to scout, so it usually turned out to be a waste of time. Started concentrating on deer and turkeys. Have good spots for both. My boy are getting old enough to start hunting so I wanted to get them into some deer and not waste our limited time staring at empty skies.

13. pizzaman69

pizzaman69 New Member

GROUSE & DUCKS

I WILL SAY ABOUT DUCK THAT YOU HAVE TO PICK THE RIGHT DAY AND BLIND LIKE I DID IN NOV, AT OTTAWA WAS BLOWING 30 MPH.+ AND TOOK BLIND 10 THERE IS A SECRET OF GETTING THE BLIND YOU WANT AT OTTAWA!!! PM ME AND I WILL TELL YOU HOW.

14. jeff51814

I've never hunted Penn. but would like to. I have a couple buddies that hunt up there some, and they talk about being in spots where you can't be sure which bird the dog has pointed.

I agree about time to scout. That in my opinion is ABSOLUTELY the biggest difference between crews that kill birds, and those that don't.