Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Remember when you sent a $5 check in when you mailed your application in? Then if you didn’t get picked ODNR refunded your $5

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My understanding is they will be placed in the wetlands and throughout the site to promote microbiomes.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Could be the state's idea of flooded timber :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Went by the new wetland project Tuesday, it appears they’re finishing up. A lot of the heavy machinery is already moved out. Very interesting what they’ve done there, never seen a wetland project installed like this. I have to watch and see how it turns out. you get a chance you have to drive by it before, it gets water on it.

·
tjr
166 Posts
Talked to a guy at the office , said they will be completed and offered in the drawing next year. Don’t know if it’s the marsh drawing or the field units

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It will have to be the marsh units. There will no longer be any fields. The majority of the acreage is wet meadow or wooded wetland. The wet meadow along Denman Rd. is a series of hundreds of mounds and depressions. You need to go by and look at it. You won't hunt much of anything in there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I saw the project as they were doing it and rode by this past weekend. There will not be any good hunting with what they did. Amazing GM got that sweet mitigation deal on state refuge property.
Where was DU when all this went down? Oh wait Mosquito is not near the mallard club or Toledo so DU is not interested only interested in your checkbook and fundraisers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You bet GM got a sweet deal. Normally the mitigator must purchase property. Right now property in northern Trumbull Co goes for $2000 / acre, so they were given a $300,000 gift. On top of that ,when GM closed the Lordstown plant, they should have paid back 64.5 MILLION in tax credits. The governor said he isn't worried about them paying it back, although the state auditor said otherwise(guess who is going to win that one). Now GM says it is so optimistic about their battery plant that they may make it larger. Wonder where they can find somebody dumb enough to give them free land for more mitigation work. Hey what about those remaining fields to the east. They can finish off the farming and the refuge, once and for all.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Very well said wetlander, those wet meadows will be filled in with reed canary grass in about two years.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Leave it t the state to screw things up for us hunters all while they try to sell it to us as a big advantage.

Why does it happen?
As sportsmen, we allow it to continue to happen because we don't speak or minds and make the calls needed to create some waves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
According to the Warren Tribune Ultim ( GM ) purchased 144 acres next to it's existing site.

GM spokesman Dan Flores said Tuesday the land was acquired "primarily to support the placement and routing of utilities needed to service" Ultium Cells.

Beyond that, "it provides us flexibility as well, but I can't really define what flexibility means at this point in time," Flores said.

He also tamped down speculation of expansion of the plant, which is expected to start production sometime in the first quarter of 2022.

"I don't want to create a bunch of speculation that we are going to double the plant, but certainly 144 acres is a significant plot of property. But at this point in time, I have not heard of any plans to expand what hasn't even opened yet," Flores said. "Having the property increases our flexibility so we would have options in the future if needed, but I don't want to create speculation (on) something that isn't there."

Like I said before, wonder where they can find someone to give them more free land if they need to mitigate wetlands. Ever notice how this stuff happens in he winter when no one is paying attention.

·
Registered
383 Posts
According to the Warren Tribune Ultim ( GM ) purchased 144 acres next to it's existing site.

GM spokesman Dan Flores said Tuesday the land was acquired "primarily to support the placement and routing of utilities needed to service" Ultium Cells.

Beyond that, "it provides us flexibility as well, but I can't really define what flexibility means at this point in time," Flores said.

He also tamped down speculation of expansion of the plant, which is expected to start production sometime in the first quarter of 2022.

"I don't want to create a bunch of speculation that we are going to double the plant, but certainly 144 acres is a significant plot of property. But at this point in time, I have not heard of any plans to expand what hasn't even opened yet," Flores said. "Having the property increases our flexibility so we would have options in the future if needed, but I don't want to create speculation (on) something that isn't there."

Like I said before, wonder where they can find someone to give them more free land if they need to mitigate wetlands. Ever notice how this stuff happens in he winter when no one is paying attention.
Interesting.........Keep us posted on this.
Thanks

41 - 53 of 53 Posts