Goodbye Mosquito hunts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wetlander, Apr 15, 2020.

1. wetlander

wetlander New Member

Judging from the flagging and silt fence GM got the OK for their mitigation at Mosquito. For details see my earlier post " I know we have bigger problems ". Makes you wonder if they will bother to have any field hunts at all. There are some who wouldn't mind seeing them all go.

JP likes this.
  2. jjm

jjm Active Member

Thank the trade forum for all the no shows they had everyday for the fields hunts. When they get half no shows for the field hunts each day not too hard to let them go away.

JP, pklingen, Toner07 and 1 other person like this.

3. asnappertapper

asnappertapper Member

the field hunts sure bring back some great memories as a kid.....my Grandfather held the record goose killed there for many years....just over 16 lbs.

Fowltalk
    Fallen Glory

4. jjm

jjm Active Member

Rode by Saturday, saw where they are going to do the work. A little further west than I initially anticipated it being.
    Will be a shame if the new wetlands aren’t accessible either as part of the wetland units or summer application drawing.
    Also, I think it will help rattlesnake island and the area from pikie bay to the buoy line.

5. wetlander

wetlander New Member

According to the mitigation plan the will create 107 acres of forested wetland (wet woods) 35 acres non forested wetlands. This will be in the form of 5 individual wetlands, one of which will be next to the road. mitigation.JPG mitigation.JPG

JP and jmschreck1 like this.
  6. PerchMonkey

PerchMonkey Active Member

"Wet woods" Something that they dont have enough of already in that area :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the map

JP likes this.
  7. FEATHERDUSTER

FEATHERDUSTER Well-Known Member

The big question is, are they gonna allow hunting in the new wetlands? Those Field Hunts have been stale for years now, since they change the farming practices so it cannot hurt. The problem with the new wetlands is, they’re great for the first 6 to 8 years. After that they don’t do any maintenance, they get covered and all weeded out with water shield. and then they’re worthless. you’d be better off not even having the wetland once it gets choked out with weeds, and nothing uses it. Look at the wetlands in the drawing area now, they don’t shoot like they used to example take a walk down the bike trail and look at U and W. Go along Chafee Dodgeville Road look at the two ponds north and south all choked up with water shield. The wetland just to the east that was drain and now re-filled is now holding waterfowl. Get on Google earth and look at the wetlands they’re green,they’re not the color of water. I’ve had this water shield weed problem in my back pond,which is right across the street on rt87 from the refuge. There’s no turtles no frogs the ducks and geese stop using it. That’s why we knew something was wrong .I knew something was wrong when even the Family of muskrats left the pond! So if they’re not gonna do any maintenance or keep them up it really doesn’t matter what they put in there. The division of wildlife biologist told me I have to drain my marsh every 6 to 8 years for it to be productive!!!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    JP and Toner07 like this.
  8. FEATHERDUSTER

With all the cutbacks in the division of wildlife, I don’t even know if they still have a wildlife biologist for district 3. You were scheduled appointment with the biologist, during the week. he would come out walk your property and wetland.identify all the vegetation tell you what was good and what was bad,how to get rid of it and how to maintain it.

JP likes this.
  9. FEATHERDUSTER

You also have to remember why wetlands are put it. To improve soil and water quality duck and goose production and NOT DUCK and GOOSE harvest!!!! Looking at the topo of map you will see there was no water source,except for winter and spring time runoff. So if you have a warm dry summer and fall and the wetlands are not very large and deep. come season they could dry. Some years I lose 20”to 24”inches of water.

JP likes this.
  10. wetlander

wetlander New Member

Perchmonkey so true. If you ever been on one of the deer hunts you know you better wear knee boots.
    Featherduster thanks for making a point I wanted to address. These are shallow water wetlands and depend on rainfall. They may well be low or dry after a warm dry summer. Also I didn't include the legend. The blue line is the MAXIMUM water level. The actual water area is less than shown in green. They would probably be describe as wet meadow. GMs is responsible for maintenance and upkeep for the first 10 years. I'm sure DOW will throw hunters a bone and open the wetlands for hunting. They would be foolish not to to, but I am not sure hunters will get much in the trade off. The loss of these fields are in my opinion a negative for all hunts, deer included. I am a realist though. 1100 jobs will always beat a handful of hunts to shoot a few sky carp and swamp donkeys.

PerchMonkey and JP like this.
  11. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Forget his name, Scott perhaps? He was a great guy and FULL of knowledge. The guy bent over backwards for you. I know he retired and the replacement is a Ryan Jackson. Talked to him a few times, that’s all, talked.

12. FEATHERDUSTER

Toner I know his name and I could probably call him today and he would help me but I didn’t want to put it on the Internet but he was available to anybody that wanted help. But people have to realize his job was just like everybody else’s job Monday through Friday eight hours

JP and Toner07 like this.
  13. FEATHERDUSTER

I hope they don’t have an accident, and flood the tractor farm just to the east of the parking lot. Ha ha

14. wetlander

wetlander New Member

If you notice, the control structure for that wetland (blue square with a D) is right next to the house. A lot of antiques there.

15. JP

JP Well-Known Member

The legend would have certainly helped. If they are putting in the control structure one would think they would plan on draining the wetland whether for planting or just getting the water off any trees they may plant.
    The loss of that agricultural field is not worth any wetland project, the could have certainly put them in at any of the other field of weeds they don't do anything with they have all along the refuge.
    Thanks to the local guy putting in the wheat, the place is starting to look like it did years ago....planted

PerchMonkey and FEATHERDUSTER like this.
  16. JP

JP Well-Known Member

GM being responsible for maintaining and upkeep makes me believe it will just be monetarily and not literally...........i hope

PerchMonkey likes this.
  17. JP

JP Well-Known Member

Could probably use some new nesting structure in the area

PerchMonkey likes this.
  18. wetlander

wetlander New Member

I realized ,too late, I didn't include the legend. Hope this helps.
    legend.JPG

JP likes this.
  19. 4paws & a stoeger

4paws & a stoeger Member

good point and lake erie is up 71 "

20. jjm

jjm Active Member

Those wetlands aren’t being put in for conservation or to improve anything. There is no noble cause here. General Motors is only doing it because they have to.
    Also very convenient for GM they are doing it on land they don’t own or have to buy.

MRDUCKS likes this.