Full Choke Steel

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by seaark18, Aug 19, 2005.

1. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Hi guys, I spent some time patterning a few of my guns last night... wanted to see how some of the loads I've been using look on paper.&nbsp; I had done some patterning a few years ago, but have since bought a few cases of some new stuff.&nbsp; I first shot my new Browning Gold 10 with the factory Mod. Choke, with Remington Nitro-Steel BB's, 1 3/4 oz.&nbsp; I wanted to try some other brands, but nobody in the area carries 10ga ammo this time of year, I drove all over!&nbsp; Anyway, the patterns looked good at 40yds, but I still plan to try some other loads.&nbsp; Next I tried my 11-87 Super Mag.&nbsp; I've been using 3.5in Winchester Super-X BB's 1 9/16 oz since I got it, and patterned them a few years ago with the Mod choke and things looked good.&nbsp; However, I have since begun to use Kent and Federal's in it as well.&nbsp; I first shot the Kent 3.5in #1's with 1 9/16 oz.&nbsp; The patterns at 40 yds thru the Mod choke were pretty sparse, didn't appear even and dense enough to ensure killing a duck from that range.&nbsp; Next I tried my Federal's.&nbsp; They are the new Premium Heavy High Velocity 3.5in #1's, with 1.5oz of shot.&nbsp; This load had a little bit better pattern, but I still am not satisfied.&nbsp; I have the full choke for the gun, which is supposedly approved for use with steel shot.&nbsp; However, I'm wondering if any of you have been using the Rem Choke full for steel shot, and if any barrel damage has occured.&nbsp; I guess I still have it stuck in my head that I shouldn't use anything tighter than Mod unless I buy an aftermarket extended choke (patternmaster, haydels, etc..) because I read somewhere that the full chokes that aren't extended can lead to ring bulging.&nbsp; Does anyone else out there use a similar gunning system?&nbsp; I'm reluctant to just start buying new chokes because of their cost, and I doubt you can return them if the patterns didn't turn out well.&nbsp; Any advice would be appreciated.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dustin</P>

2. ignantmike

ignantmike Member

<P>the full should be fine........i shot mine with full for year's with no problem....i had the 11-87 3" gun.........look at some of the aftermarket tubes..they choke down more then your remington factory tube.....&nbsp;</P>

3. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">When I used an 11-87, I got my best patterns, in terms of tightness, with an improved modified.&nbsp; Factory full was just a little too tight for best patterns.&nbsp; I used the Hastings flush IM, and also used their extended Xfull for T &amp; F Steel, which is also a IM, but is specifically designed for big steel shot, and called an Xfull because of the patterns it shoots, rather than the IM lead shot constriction it possesses.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">With a Browning Invector Plus barrel, we got our best patterns with a Briley extended light full.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">While it isn't always true, generally a good extended aftermarket choke will pattern steel shot better than most factory chokes.&nbsp; You really have to try them out to be certain.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">In my BPS10, I have the factory chokes, a Pattern Master, an extended Trulock Mod., an extended Trulock Imp. Mod., a .705" Terror and a .720" Terror choke.&nbsp; The Trulocks are nearly identical to Brileys.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I found the best long range patterns (50-60 yards) were consistently delivered in my 10ga. by the Terror chokes.&nbsp; I prefer the .720" for my 1500 fps. BBB loads, although the .705" will deliver tighter patterns with lead and duckshot size steel shot.&nbsp; The Trulock modified gave the best maximum 40 yard range patterns, but I wouldn't push it beyond 40 yards.&nbsp; The Imp. Mod. was too tight for best patterning with BBB's, but may be a good choice for BB's and smaller if you want to save a little money by not buying a Terror.</P>

4. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P>Here's a couple of pics. of patterns shot with the .720" Terror choke and a 1 1/2 oz. 1500 fps. BBB hand load at 50 yards.&nbsp; If you shoot nothing bigger than BB's, perhaps for snow geese, the .705" would probably give a tighter pattern for long range shooting.</P>

5. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">hey guys thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it!&nbsp; i'll let you know what happens as I continue to try different chokes/loads.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dustin</P>

6. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P>Did some more patterning work last night.&nbsp; I tried my 11-87 Super Mag with the factory full lead/steel choke (I'd used the Mod tube last time, and ran out of daylight so I didn't get to continue).&nbsp; The patterns still look like crap at 40 yards, very little noticable difference compared with the Mod choke.&nbsp; I first shot my Kent loads thru it- 3.5"&nbsp; 1 9/16 oz of #1 shot.&nbsp; I then shot my Federal loads, which are the new HHV loads, 3.5" 1.5oz of #1 shot.&nbsp; This pattern didn't look any better.&nbsp; I read in a post about Rem Chokes that some of you havn't had good luck with 26" and shorter barreled guns, and my gun has a 26".&nbsp; I was frustrated, and wanted to see how the Federal and Kent loads patterned in one of my other guns, so I got out my Browning BPS Mag.&nbsp; I shot the Kent load thru the gun with the Mod. tube in, and the pattern looked OK, actually it'd probably be a gread combo for using over decoys at shots in the 30-35 yard range.&nbsp; I then tried the Federal&nbsp;load thru the Browning, and the patterns were beautiful!&nbsp; It was actually a tighter patten than I had been able to achieve with the Remington full choke, and this was thru a Browning Mod tube!&nbsp; Now, the Browning has a 28" barrel, and it's back-bored, do you guys think that's what made the difference?&nbsp; Or maybe it's just that the Rem Full choke is just too tight, as tripleb suggested.&nbsp; Looks like I'm gonna have to start trying aftermarket tubes if I want to get this 11-87 shooting well.</P>

7. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">It's hard to say definitively why one barrel patterns better or worse with a particular load.&nbsp; Some people believe it's due to barrel harmonics, the way the barrel is vibrating when the shot charge leaves the barrel.&nbsp; Just as a centerfire rifle barrel vibrations can adversely affect bullet grouping, they argue that it also can affect patterns.&nbsp; I don't know&nbsp;if that is true, but there does seem to be a pattern where certain guns tend to pattern better than others.&nbsp; Generally, a Rem. 12ga. will pattern well, but like most 12ga. guns, it often&nbsp;requires an extended choke to do&nbsp;so with steel shot.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">If you can borrow an extended Briley improved modified or a Hastings Xfull for T &amp; F shot (which is really an improved modified), I would expect your patterns to improve.&nbsp; Personally, I prefer the .675" Terror chokes for shooting 35 yards up to 50 yards.&nbsp; They have consistently outperformed all other chokes I have tried with a wide range of shot sizes, types and velocities.&nbsp;&nbsp;They are expensive, but there is a liberal return policy if you are unsatisfied with it, provided it is undamaged.&nbsp; &nbsp;</P>

8. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Havn't seen Terror chokes for sale anywhere, where do you get them?&nbsp; Didn't even see them in Cabela's catalog, or Macks!&nbsp; Is there a different name for them?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dustin</P>

9. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">The Terror chokes can be purchased from either of the following:</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://surecycle.com/default.asp" target=_blank>http://surecycle.com/default.asp</A></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">or</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://wadwizard.com/TerrorTubes.htm" target=_blank>http://wadwizard.com/TerrorTubes.htm</A></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Surecycle makes both the Wad Wizard and the Terror chokes, however Wad Wizard, as a retail source, sells them a little cheaper ($5.00).&nbsp; Do not get the .655" unless you want a turkey choke or a choke for shooting snow geese at very long ranges.&nbsp; Do not get the .700" unless you want a mid range (20-35 yards) choke.&nbsp; The .675" is best suited with most loads for 35-50 yards in most guns.</P>

10. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">hey tripleb thanks again for the info, you're the one-stop-shop ballistics expert!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dustin</P>

11. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P>Don't forget DeWayne Knight.&nbsp; I acquired what I know by being too cheap to pay someone else to work on my guns.&nbsp; DeWayne is the one I would ask if I had a question on firearms.</P>