Frustrating week

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by jeffk, May 6, 2005.

1. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P>I worked a bird I mentioned on here on Monday, along with a bearded hen.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">On Tuesday went back where the treeshooter was just to see if anything re-roosted. Nothing. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">On Wednsday hunted where Val and worked a bird on the first day, The one that gobbles like he is gobbling into an aluminum pie plate. Had him at 80 yards and coming, he goes down a ridge. I call him right back up at 60 yards</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">in the brush. Next he goes down the ridge again. Then he is right below me</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">at 40 yards but 50 feet down. Can't see him. Later he is 80 yards going away and stops gobbling. Thurdsday try him again but closer where he went down the hill. He is no where around. Never heard a gobble.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Today set up where Mat and I did Sunday. At 5:45 a deer walks by in the dark and spooks. The tom gobbles on the footsteps on the roost but a lot closer than normal, 120 yards. He gobbles again, then I here footsteps to my left. Thinking deer I look and he comes a hunter sneaking. I have sole permission(lease). I shine a flashlight at him twice until&nbsp; he gets it.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">He walks over quietly and apologizes. Walks away after telling me he has been hunting this big bird for two weeks after I tell him I have sole permission.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I find out later he setups on the river bank about 100 yards away where the bird walked yesterday.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Meanwhile I get into a ------- match with a mouthy hen the same as on Monday. Another hen yelps a few times and heads to the gobbler now on the ground. I called the mouthy hen in twice to a decoy, then she dissapears.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Later find out from the other hunter I had the tom in front of him at 70 yards headed my way. The hen cut him off and headed to the east. I was told he had an 11" beard and very thick just like Mat described on Sunday.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Was told by the other landowner where the treeshooter happened on Saturday there was three birds in the field earlier this week. Saw a lot of tracks there while scouting today.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Going to try that tommorrow, and the old big tom on Sunday. At least the trespasser told me he would stay out from now on.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Good luck with those who still have tags!</P>