FINALLY.....

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Howman, May 6, 2005.

1. Howman

Howman New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">....filled my second tag this morning. Here is a quick recap of the last weeks hunts. Been busy and was frankly too tired to post.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Last Friday hunted Stark County Tree Farm with a buddy. About 180 acres. Didn't get anything going until 9am. Worked five birds with 2 mature gobblers twice...almost pulled the trigger but wasn't comfortable with the brush I was going to have to shoot thru. Ended up spooking the birds in a power line clearing on the third setup for them.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Monday, hunted Wayne County by myself. Nothing....I mean nothing seen or heard.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Tuesday...my most frustrating day ever. Hunted Atwater in Portage County. 500+ acre farm, about all crop land except 100+ acres. Birds roost off property but come in almost daily across the creek. Had the boss work me that<EM> </EM>I missed earlier in the season. Can't mistake this guy. Literally setup on him 10 times and every time he would come in and drop his pants about 70 yards. Easily gobbled 300 times. Whatever sound I made, include tree branch breaking, he gobbled. I tried no calling, soft calling, aggressive calling, decoys, no decoys, decoy in the field and setup to ambush him...no luck. I am not allowed anyone else on that particular property...burned me that day because if I had someone behind me calling or vice versa...he would have died that day. The amazing thing is I worked this thing from 7am to 10am and he was interested the whole time and then would back off and that is when I would move....not spooking hime once. Finally I sat between 10 and noon being quiet and just hoping he would come back around...nothing. I don't know if I could have my pants down for 3 hours and not do it, man I was just frustrated. Had my heart in my throat for 3 hours and nothing...oh well thats Turkey Hunting.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Wednesday, exhausted..slept in. Thursday couldn't hunt. Buddy I went with the previous Friday hunted a grain farm just north of Carrolton, we or nobody else has touched it this year. Had his 3 year old son with him and had them gobbling heads off and spitting and drumming and took a 22 pound gobbler with 7" beard and 1 inch spurs had 7am.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Today, Friday. Went back to Portage County farm in Atwater. Walked in a little later than I wanted...dang stomach gobbled itself out of its way to Waffle House. Walked in at 5:45&nbsp;on the edge of&nbsp;a winter wheat field. Had one gobble hard striaght out in front of me and I saw him on a limb overlooking the field. I backtracked quickly to the oil well road and litterally sprinted to the end of the field and crawled and put out my decoy and hid in the edge of the woods. This setup was slightly downhill from the tree I saw him. I tree yelped and this guy went nuts. I just knew it was the boss from Tuesday. HE is going crazy and it is 6:03. I hit the wing beat and simulated a fly down and man that thing flew down before I could finish. He lands on the top shelf of the field, and I say Oh Uh should have setup there. I yelped and he came running and stopped at 80 yards dropped his pants and strutted. He then ran another 20 yards closer and strutted and spit a little. He dropped strut and came to within about 40 yards and started strutting again. It is still a little diminished on the lighting, know he is a gobbler, couldn't make out the beard tho as he was in some high stuff. Just then a hen flys out of the trees to my right and lands in the field. Talk about that stomach sinking feeling. He drops strut and takes 1 step towards her, thats all it took for the SBE 2 with Hevi Shot 5's to drop him. Walked up to him and was happy and sad at the same time. It wasn't the boss. I was happy with the situation and how he worked me and glad I filled both tags. 15 pounds, 5 inch beard, 1/2 inch spurs (just shy) and nice tail. The morning was over at 6:05am. Spent the next 2 hours looking for mushrooms, none to be found.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

2. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">CONGRATS!!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

3. HonkerBonker

HonkerBonker New Member

<P>Sleep will be enjoyable for the next week.&nbsp; I am now hoping to fill a PA tag.&nbsp; I have a great piece of ground near Springboro that has a good bit of birds.&nbsp; Congrats on finishing out.</P>

4. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">nice story Hitman........now its early teal, goose, &amp; dove to look</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">forward to.....rest up, you got some time.</P>