Field Decoy placement

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by HROTHGAR, Jul 27, 2005.

1. HROTHGAR

HROTHGAR New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I'm fairly new to goose hunting fields and wanted some suggestions on decoy placement.&nbsp; In particular mixing decoys, I have a variety of goose decoys, i.e., 2 dozen silos, four or five full bodies, couple of shells and 8 floaters.&nbsp; I just bought a finisher so I'm okay there.&nbsp; Any suggestions on mixing decoys and on placement; for example, silos in one spot, full bodies around blind, etc.&nbsp; Do you use floaters in the field? Should I mix in some mallard decoys? Any input would be helpful.&nbsp; Thanks, look forward to your replies.</P>

2. gastj

gastj Member

<P>We have over the past few year have gotten around 6 dozen full standers, and the rest ~6 more dozen in shells of different sizes.&nbsp; We use the Mags on out skirts and mix the normals shells and standers in the bunch.&nbsp; Don't have all your spread looking into the wind it will make them look nervous.&nbsp; I typically run a open-v on land or ice.&nbsp; I do try different combo's until they pick what they like.&nbsp; If all you have is floaters to add to spread use them, but make sure they sit up right.&nbsp; The aqua vac style are nice in field and swamp.</P>

3. Blaux

Blaux New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">darron touched on putting your best decoys in the whole.&nbsp; put the most realistice decoys you have where you want the birds to land.&nbsp; all decoys have there place in the field.&nbsp; we change our numbers an ratio in conjunction with the season.&nbsp; for example: early spread em out wide latter in the season use more shells and pack them in tight.&nbsp; if you scout a field your going to hunt pay close attention to what the birds in the field are doing.&nbsp; are they all belly down?? how many?&nbsp; you get the idea here, realism is the best decoy.&nbsp; try to make it look as real as possible.&nbsp; i like to also use my larger looking full bodies around my blind to break up any profiles.&nbsp; if you use the silos, stagger tham and have them facing different dirrections.&nbsp; i cant stress realisim enough.&nbsp; keep the decoys clean and pay very close attention to even the smallest of detail.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">brian</P>

4. DeWayne

DeWayne Active Member Lifetime Supporter

<P>I have to agree with the other guys as far as putting your best decoys downwind in the hole.&nbsp; You want to "direct" the geese to the "kill hole" with your spread.&nbsp; Having the best decoys in the hole gives you the best chance of finishing the geese and getting close in, clean shots.&nbsp;</P>

5. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">DeWayne,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Shove em in your kill Hole.... I would have to agree. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Good decoy placement and calling= 10-15 yd shots.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">DeWayne,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">What is your typical pattern </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">U-shaped or J-Hook (like DR. J)</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I know when it is cold out, you prefer to string your dekes as if birds have landed (down wind) to a tight group of sleeping or ground feeding shells. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Is that right?</P>

6. DeWayne

<P>SSSSSHHHHHHH!&nbsp; I can't tell all my secrets!</P>

7. Blaux

Blaux New Member

<P>dewayne like to put em out in tight in the cold.&nbsp; kind of like a hot night club.&nbsp; you kow a lot of butts to nutts and grinding.</P>

8. HROTHGAR

HROTHGAR New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for all the advice and info.&nbsp; Hopefully, I will put it to good use this season.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Finally, I never expected to see the phrase "Butts to Nutts" (posted by Blaux) in reference to decoy placement.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have&nbsp;heard the phrase before, just never in this context.&nbsp; Good one that brought a smile to my face.&nbsp; I will be thinking of that phrase all season long when deploying decoys in the field.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks guys.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">MJR</P>

9. DeWayne

<P>Michael, how is that Zink video working out for you?</P>

10. HROTHGAR

HROTHGAR New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I ended up buying the paralyzer and got an additional copy of the video.&nbsp; So I gave one tape to my dad and kept the other.&nbsp; Great video.&nbsp; I am not real proficient with the Paralyzer.&nbsp; I have the Power Maximus that is extremely easy to blow,&nbsp;but it seems fairly high pitched.&nbsp;I have another short reed that seems easier to blow also.&nbsp;The Paralyzer's volume and sound is incredible, I just can't seem to really get a handle on the call yet.&nbsp; Might need some lessons.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>