Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Dogs' started by CReeder, Aug 1, 2005.

1. CReeder

CReeder New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have an 11 week old field bred English Springer Spaniel.&nbsp; We brought him home at 7 weeks.&nbsp; We have been feeding him three times per day, approx. 3/4 cups per feeding.&nbsp;We would place his food dish in his crate for feeding as well as outside his crate.&nbsp; He is starting to show a little bit of an agressive behavior when he now eats.&nbsp; He will give a growl when we pet him or put our hands in his food dish while he is eating.&nbsp; We have now started to hand feed him, so as to make him more comfortable with contact during feeding.&nbsp; He has no problem with us hand feeding and he shows no agressive behavior when we do this.&nbsp; Also, he seems to inhale his food at each feeding.&nbsp; One more point, last night we tried something different.&nbsp; We gave him two full cups of food to see what he would do.&nbsp; Well, he at everything at the feeding, and he had a big belly afterwards.&nbsp; I'm not sure why he has developed this agressive behavior with his feedings.&nbsp; We have another springer spaniel - 10yrs old, but he is not around during the puppies feeding.&nbsp; Any advice on how to correct this problem would be apprciated.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Chris</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

2. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Chris,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">First welcome to OW, secondly I don't know what to tell you, I have never had a dog do that to me. I'm sure someone who has had this problem will help you out.</P>

3. CMDUX

CMDUX Member

<P>Call Dan Rogge in Dorset, OH (ashtabula county).&nbsp; He is by far the most expert ESS owner, trainer, breeder I have ever met.&nbsp; I don't have his number, just call 411.&nbsp; If you get stuck PM me and I'll dig around for the number.</P>

4. lablady

lablady New Member

<P>we have a average of 20 plus dogs in our barn.My husbans when feeding takes the food dish away while they eat and pets the pup while talking to them and than gives sit plus stay command.then he returns food dish on other side while he is between dog and food so pup canot break till realeased.GOOD LUCK</P>