FACTORY FIBER OPTIC SIGHT

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by RegisteredNurse, Aug 26, 2005.

1. RegisteredNurse

RegisteredNurse Active Member

<P>HI, I HAVE A SBE1 WITH THE FACTORY FRONT SIGHT. IT IS ONLY ABOUT TWO YEARS OLD IN ADVANTAGE HD. I BOUGHT A HI VIZ TO PUT ON IT, BUT DO NOT WANT TO MESS IT UP UNLESS I KNOW IF THEY SCREW OR ARE GLUED IN. ANYONE KNOW AND HAVE DONE IT? PLEASE TELL ME HOW!! THANKS!! GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON!! RN</P>

2. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P>I have a Hi Viz Comp sight, which screws on to the rib.&nbsp; But it has screws in several different sizes to fit the threaded hole your factory sight uses.&nbsp; You don't have to drill additional holes, just remove the factory sight, find which screw fits the factory threads and fasten the sight base using it.&nbsp; They also&nbsp;make sights that fasten on the rib with magnets and I think one which requires drilling and tapping the rib.&nbsp; Without knowing which sight you have, it's hard to say how&nbsp;your's is supposed to attach to the rib.</P>

3. CODB

CODB Member

<P>I had a set of magnet ones on my old 835. I was really surprised and impressed that the magnets still are holding those sights on after 6 years.</P>

4. RegisteredNurse

HI, AND SORRY I DIDN'T GET MY QUESTION OUT THE WAY I MEANT. THE HIVIZ SIGHT I HAVE&nbsp;HAS ALL OF THE REPLACEMENT SIZE SCREWS FOR ALL SIZE HOLES TO MOUNT AFTER TAKING OUT FRONT BEAD, BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF THE SBE FRONT&nbsp;FACTORY BEAD&nbsp;IS SCREWED IN OR GLUED? I JUST WANT TO KNOW BEFORE I TRY TO TACKLE&nbsp;THE JOB!!&nbsp;I WOULD RATHER NOT MESS UP THE SIGHT IF ALL POSSIBLE, AND NOT THE SBE EITHER!!&nbsp;THANKS&nbsp;&nbsp;

5. CODB

CODB Member

<P>Best idea I have for you is look in a cabellas or other hunting magazine and see if they have a screw in tru-glu sight for the SBE if so then the front bead is definitly screw in. Every gun I've ever owned has been a screw in beed. 835-870-SX2-1187-9200</P>

6. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Active Member

<P>The SBE is a screw in type sight.&nbsp; Its the 2.6mm screw.&nbsp; It will be difficult to remove the factory one.&nbsp; I think they use some kind of threadlock.&nbsp; Just use the some more threadlock when you put the new one in.&nbsp; It should hold for years.</P>

7. RegisteredNurse

<P>WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BEST WAY TO TAKE OUT THE FACTORY FRONT BEAD WOULD BE? THANKS!!</P>

8. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P>I just clamp the barrel in a padded vise, then use a pair of pliers on the metal part, straddling the bead, being careful to gradually increase pressure and to rotate the bead counterclockwise.</P>

9. zvilleduks

zvilleduks New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT size=3>If you never want to return the original front bead to the gun, you can have at it with a pair of pliers as suggested, I would advise caution because if you snap off the threaded part in your rib, you'll be back to magnets or double sided tape. Any good smith will have a sight bead tool, it has adjustable collet type jaws&nbsp;that grab the front sight bead all the way around, preserving it and lessening the chance of damage. I have a set here at the house (Zanesville), if you're close by.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT size=3>Scott</FONT></P>

10. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Zvilleducks:</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The SBE does not use the conventional round bead, that the collet is designed to remove or install.&nbsp; It is a fiberoptic plastic cylinder, set so it's ends are on line with the rib, encased in a metal tube to which the screw is attached on the side.&nbsp; The sight somewhat resembles a T handled Allen wrench, with the screw set in the same position as the driving part of the Allen wrench.</P>

11. zvilleduks

zvilleduks New Member

<P><FONT size=3>That's right. You can tell I don't shoot a Benelli. I forgot about the front sight being much like an Ithaca. The pliers might be your best bet. If it is hard to move then add heat to the pliers not the barrel, heat will release the locking agent.</FONT></P>

12. RegisteredNurse

<P>THANKS TO ALL, I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT!!</P>

13. RegisteredNurse

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">THANKS GUYS, ALL DONE!! IT WAS EASIER THAN I THOUGHT, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO TACKLE SOMETHING THAT I HAVE NEVER DONE. I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE!! I DIDN'T WANT TO MESS ANYTHING UP ON MY BARREL. I SHOT REAL WELL WITH THE FACTORY SIGHT, BUT I WANTED SOMETHING A LITTLE BRIGHTER FOR THOSE LOW LIGHT MOMENTS IN THE DUCK AND GOOSE BLIND. I PUT ON A HIVIZ TRIVIZ SIGHT ON.&nbsp;IT WAS EASY!!&nbsp; THANKS AGAIN, AND GOOD LUCK ON THE UPCOMING SEASONS.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

14. CODB

CODB Member

<P>I myself and going to put a tru glo bead on my SX2 tomorow then back to the sporting clays. First time with the new gun may do a little worse then normal but I'm hoping for a natural increase in percent haha. </P>

15. huntnlabs

huntnlabs New Member

<P>Word of Caution.....I had the Hi Viz sight w/multiple size screws installed on my Nova for a few years and shot well with it. I started shooting another season of trap league and my scores dropped off from what I'd done in previous league shoots. When duck season came in I was missing birds like crazy too. My buddy knocked a bird down and it was swiming away fast so I raked it. I missed that bird a foot to the left! No wonder I was missing my shots. The sight had loosened slightly and was cocked on the rib just a hair, which changed my sight picture. I'd used lock tight on the threads when I installed it but it still loosened up enough to get cocked off line on the back end of the sight. Check the screw often and make sure the sight is lined straight on your rib. You might even put a thin coat of silicon on the bottom surface of the sight to hold it incase the screw would loosen up. I replaced&nbsp;my Hi Viz&nbsp;sight with one of Tom Knapp's fiber optic sights and really like it. </P>