Did I make a mistake????

Discussion in 'Lake Erie' started by peanut, Dec 16, 2015.

1. peanut

peanut Active Member

We caught a few hogs today. 11.25 then a 10.5. Next, I landed an almost 32", 13.25lb walleye. I don't eat them, and I'd like to see her provide us with more fish in the future. I told our "captain" to let her go, if he could revive her, which he did.

Should I have mounted this beast, or was I right in letting her go?

What say you??????

2. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

It depends. Were there women and children on the boat? If so, mounting it may have been a little inappropriate. But hey, to each his own...

3. EricOsh

EricOsh Member

Nearly just spit my coffee out :crylaugh:

4. jason

jason Sponsor Sponsor

I want to make sure she is still ok, give me the GPS coordinates and I will go check on her.

5. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Just get a fiberglass reproduction made , I did on a 32"hog released and came out very nice

6. peanut

peanut Active Member

That's funny!!

Mark,

How much do replicas cost? I thought about it after I was told it would be over $300 to get a real mount. I had a steelhead mounted years ago and it was $125, but apparently prices have gone up.

Pick me up and I'll take you there..... Wasn't a secret spot, plenty of other boats around. Sounded like other boats were cathing more fish, in the 4-6 lb range. We were catching fewer fish, but they were all bigger fish. The biggins seemed to like our setup better than the smaller fish.

7. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Replicas are generally more than skin mounts. If you go that route, be very picky. There are some really good replicas out there, but I can usually pick one out a mile away. I've always said if I was going to go the replica route, that a picture is good enough. If it's not the real fish, what's the difference in a nice framed picture or a fake fish on the wall (besides a few hundred bucks)?

8. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Got my fiberglass mount done way back in the 90's by Kulis was about $400 bucks back then if I can remember correctly.