Devils Lake North Dakota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

Looking for info regarding freelancing the Devils Lake Region. I have hunted southern ND years ago and found lots of areas to hunt. Not sure this would be the case up north? I prefer to hunt open water versus field hunting. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. fallingfowl

fallingfowl Active Member

Lots of guide services to compete with in and around the lake.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

My thoughts would be to hunt on the lake itself. Is this open to the public? thanks for the info.

4. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

I researched this quite a bit a couple of years ago. The lake has been rising for about 2 decades now. I'm not sure it has been the last couple of years. My understanding is that there aren't many ducks on the main part of the lake it's self. The duck mostly hang out in the back waters and flooded areas. To hunt it properly you need to have a shallow drive boat. My understanding is that you can hunt anywhere you can get to from the main lake. Or you can if it's not posted.

The way they were hunting it when I researched it, the guys would scout where the ducks were going one evening and hunt it the next. You can pull up a sat image of the lake and see where you might want to go. Also, my understanding is that the lake gets pretty rough when it blows, and it blows most of the time out there, so be careful.

5. Slopehead

Slopehead New Member

tough to free lance,we are thinking about layouts after the first couple of weeks when they quit sitting in backwaters because of pressure,but its still going to be tough,tons more guides now ,were going out in march to fish going to check out then,as far as laws and such to layout

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Member

It's very hard to find property that is not posted.

7. fallingfowl

Ozzy,
    yes lake is public but does get a lot of pressure. Even the guides will set up on the lake when its loaded with birds. hey have most of the private land around the lake locked up and have access to all the back bays and area's the birds loaf. If you were planning on lay out shooting the middle you may be ok.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

:)

Thanks for your input, I will take it into consideration. I've mostly hunted in the southern part of the state and getting permission hasn't been an issue.

Thanks!!!

9. fallingfowl

Ozzy, we have had good luck around the Steele area right off 94 this side of Bismark