DEER GUN SECOND SEASON..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptMark, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Just a reminder the DEER GUN SECOND SEASON is NOT on the 3rd weekend in December as in past years.

It is :

Two days of deer gun hunting are available on Monday, December 28, and Tuesday, December 29, 2015.

2. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

That's right.....another totally brilliant move by the ODNR.

3. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

Christmas shut down, yippee. Will be seeing about bagging a doe now. Which reminds me, I have to stop by the farmers and pick up some ear corn.

4. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

I don't see what's wrong with it....

5. Toner07

It's not A weekend. Lots of guys who hunt work for a living.
    Why would they take away a weekend and put it in the first two days of the week?

6. the_lone_wader

Because lots of guys who work for a living don't have weekends off maybe?

I work 9 to 5 with weekends off now, and would rather have it on a weekend. However, I worked for the state for 10 years in a worthless union where it took 20 years seniority to get weekends off. I understand how frustrating it is to have weekdays off in a world that revolves around a weekend/day shift schedule.

7. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

I love it! I hope they keep it!

And the reason they have it on a Mon and Tues is so the harvest # are down. Makes perfect sense. I'll be out if I'm not chasing the feathered critters.

8. Toner07

Keeping the harvest numbers down? Yeah, that definitely does not sound like the ODNR's wildlife management practices, at least historically speaking.
    It might be because they do not want to pay all the overtime to all the game wardens.... Considering every one of them must work during a firearm season.

9. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Even having the two days was a political move. It quieted the hunters by giving them the two days but ruffled feathers because it wasn't on a weekend. However, it satisfied another segment of hunters who have been clamoring for some sort of gun hunting between Christmas and New Year because they have time off due to many businesses being closed. (Remember, the muzzy season being moved to this time period a few years ago). So as far as complaining goes it will be a push plus, as WCFB1 said, it will keep the harvest numbers down because those that work will be less likely to take off.

On that note, I'm taking the day off to take my daughter out.

d r

10. the_lone_wader

No overtime. They'd just have days off during the week and very replaced by "at large" wardens during those days.

11. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Exactly, a friend of mine is off Thursday and Sunday. His county is covered by an adjacent officer.

d r

12. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

I'll take a vacation day (or 2). If ya cant get off, no big deal, you have to take care of the family and job first. my .02

Plan ahead. MJ

13. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

You should not have to burn 2 vaca days

In my opinion weekend dates much better

14. Cjensen

Cjensen Active Member

All you guys bitch about the weekend warriors ruining the sport then bitch when the season isn't on the weekend.

15. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

If ya cant go, ya cant go. Suck it up and go to work, foo :D MJ

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  16. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

Good point! I've always wished they opened reg gun on a Saturday instead of Monday. But nope it's a tradition, too crowded, etc. yet people want bonus gun on a weekend lol. Hell most schools in se Ohio close down because of gun ...which doesn't make sense now since there is a youth season. The kids have their weekend so why in hell are schools closed? I can see when they didn't have a youth season.

17. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

They don't want you to hunt, they just wanna sell you a license! MJ

18. the_lone_wader

They don't close for gun season, they close for one of those worthless teacher union days.

;p

19. hettingerjoe

hettingerjoe New Member

Also glad its on Monday and Tuesday less people to be in the woods.

20. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

BS..you and I know both know that. The county I hunt in has always closed school on the gun opener. Why? Because their attendance rates were so low. Like I said, that shouldn't be an issue now since they have their own weekend.