creating suitable habitat

Discussion in 'Upland Hunting Ohio' started by MaktheQwk, Jun 27, 2005.

1. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

<P>I've had the pleasure of working quite extensivly with our PF chapter the last couple of years on various habitat projects. After app. 3 years, some of our stands of native prarie grasses are really starting to look like something. For you landowners out there looking to improve wildlife habitat, be aware that there are many programs available to assist you in planning, and planting both wetland, grassland and woodland habitat on your property. Most cost share programs, like WHIP, CREP,CRP etc. are administered by the USDA through your counties Soil and Water Conservation District office. Our sportsman's club recently received a 100% reimbursment for creating a 9 acre wetland habitat. I should mention that as the water level went down in this heat, we planted buckwheat all along its perimiter. As water levels restore to normal levels(we hope),me thinks the geese will find this an attractive spot come September! Another good source of info is to contact the Private Lands Biologist in your wildlife district office. They will help write grant applications for cost share projects on your property. I'm really quite pleased with the diversity of habitats we have planted on our grounds in recent years, and this past spring. Of course, like everyone else, we're praying for more rain, although I had a friend call Sat., and tell me Medina Co. got about a 1 hour soaker. Additional information is available&nbsp; at <A href="http://www.OhioPF.com" target=_blank target=_blank>www.OhioPF.com</A>. Although to late for this year, any PF chapter working in or near your county should be able to help you out with seed aquisition,fertilizer, technical advice, etc. Several chapters own or have access to to-till grain drills to assist with planting your habitat projects.&nbsp;</P>

2. Orion

Orion New Member

Glad you had a good experience.&nbsp; Mine was the opposite.&nbsp; Maybe it's because my field is only about 1 1/2 acres, but PF was not interested in helping. <br>

3. WaterfowlWarrior

WaterfowlWarrior New Member

<P>They were out the first weekend in June and planted warm season grasses for me, and some other "special stuff" NRCS paid 75% of the bill.&nbsp; They were great to work with, Contact Jason Steckle at OhioPF if you have any questions. WW</P>

4. Orion

Orion New Member

They were out the first weekend in June and planted warm season grasses for me, and some other "special stuff" NRCS paid 75% of the bill.&nbsp; They were great to work with, Contact Jason Steckle at OhioPF if you have any questions. WW<br> <br> Donny,<br> <br> Who is NRCS?&nbsp; Where are you located?&nbsp; How much land did they plant (acres)?<br> <br> -Kevin<br>

5. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

<P>Orion, according to your post, you are located in Defiance. Both Defiance and Williams counties are located in the USDA's Farm Sevice Agency(FSA) Northern Bobwhite Quail Habitat Initiative area. They are looking to enroll 14,200 acres in Ohio alone. This is a cost share program with landowners offering a 1 time payment up front for enrollment, plus cost share for creating suitable edge type habitat . Look at <A href="http://www.FSA.USDA.gov/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.FSA.USDA.gov/</A>, or OhioPF.com for explanations of this, and other programs available to landowners. Don't give up in your pursuit of creating a diverse landscape, regardless of the amount of acreage your talking about improving. Good luck!</P>

6. WaterfowlWarrior

WaterfowlWarrior New Member

<P>Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) Like he said, go to your farm service agency. The warm season grasses was the first step, and now they are in the surveying process of installing a 3 acre wetland here on the farm with a system to control the depth of the wetland, so I can draw it down to plant it in early summer. They are great to work with, but everything doesn't happen overnight we started the paperwork process 2 years ago. ALL OF WHICH THEY PAY 75% of the bill, but some area's get 100% paid.&nbsp; Give me a shout if you want details.</P>