Collars

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by ROSEBUD, Mar 10, 2016.

1. ROSEBUD

ROSEBUD Member Lifetime Supporter

Would like to know your guys opinion on introducing an Electronic collar to your pup? What age would you start? I know some of you guys will know a lot more on training dogs than I do so i figured i would ask for a lit knowledge on the subject. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim

I have two female labs, they are sisters.

2. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

What training have your dogs had up to this point? Regardless of age, I wouldn't begin CC until their OB foundation is solid and have been through FF.

As a pup, they can wear the collar w/ no stim very young. Keep the CC as a gradual process to reinforce known commands, i.e..., sit, here, back, etc... I'd recommend a dvd set that covers all the basis of CC so you know you're doing right by the dog. Proper training is a slow process and most of the common questions are answered in the good dvd's. It's a slow gradual process for most dogs - not something that should ever be rushed through.

3. Cjensen

Cjensen Active Member

4 months old when I started mine. Just about the time he started being an *******. Used the beep first followed by a quick zap and after two or three times he knew the beep meant business.

4. ROSEBUD

I can understand some of the lingo but not all of it. Is "FF" force fetch? Dvd is a good idea, they will be 4 months here in a few weeks. Still have to save up for a few E-collars but wanted to know some opinions on the subject first. The pups just have been doing the basic, sit and come. Trying to work in the heal but they are still wanting to pull, so thats kind of the new workout i have been giving them. The yellow lab is still pretty dependent on the black lab so i have been getting them out on their own for about 30 min a piece a few times a week when i get off work. Not trying to train them both in a few outings but i can be frustrating. They are fun to work with tho. Any recommendations on the dvd Eaglepoint?

5. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

Yes force fetch. I've used Dokken and Stawski. Both are great imo.

6. ROSEBUD

will look into those

7. DonSmith

DonSmith Active Member

Some good advice so far. I'll just add a little. Four months is too young to force fetch. You have to wait for the adult teeth to come in - normally about 6 months. Don't start FF until obedience is stable and, especially, that pup will sit quietly. Someone mentioned Stawski's DVD for FF. He does a nice job demonstrating and actually uses a dog (golden retriever) that has not already been FFed. Evan Graham also has a good FF DVD. As has been advised already, have the ecollar - turned off - on pup when you are training, even as young as 4 months. With most dogs, we don't collar condition, i.e. turn it on and condition the dog to it, until after FF. Done properly, it only takes a week, sometimes two, to collar condition, but you also only collar condition once pup understands basic obedience commands. If you need more help, we run a large training center in Central Ohio under my kennel name, Meglyn Retrievers and my wife's, SunnysideTrainingCenter.com