Collar----On or Off

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by pintaildreamer, Apr 23, 2005.

1. pintaildreamer

pintaildreamer Active Member

Do you keep you pup's collar on while hunting or training in the field? I have heard not to so it does not hang up on something possibly injuring or killing(drowning) the dog.

2. Motherducker

Motherducker New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">in the field I do.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">In water, never.&nbsp; You're dead right (sorry for the pun), the potential for a dog getting hung up by their collar on debri, decoy's, blind, etc. is too great to risk.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">In field trials, 99.9% of the time dogs do not wear collars in the water.&nbsp; Some judges mandate that you take off the collar.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I'd rather spend the time making them steady than being forced to use a collar to hold them steady.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">-MD</P>

3. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>Depends on the type of training I am doing.&nbsp; When hunting, I never have a collar on the dog.&nbsp; Jim</P>