Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter had the Youth Mosquito yesterday and when we switched sectors at 11 the manager said that there were 28 no shows!!! Some were Amish but 28? That's pathetic. I know the weather wasn't ideal but if you want them to hunt you have to teach them to deal with the weather.

I drove 4 hours to get there, spent over $100 on a hotel, and about $60 in gas but never would have thought about not going.

d r

·
Registered
532 Posts
What a shame. I heard Ottawa duck hunt this weekend had a bunch of no shows also. Why even send in for the hunts if your not gonna go? At least try to give the thing away to someone. I heard Pickerel had several no shows Saturday also for the morning hunt......Come on man!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
How young is too young to start bringing kids hunting? I know it is subjective, and depends on the kid, but what is your experience. My little guy is 2 and I cant wait to get him involved.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
How young is too young to start bringing kids hunting? I know it is subjective, and depends on the kid, but what is your experience. My little guy is 2 and I cant wait to get him involved.
My dad go me into the squirrel woods when I was 7 and I started duck hunting at 8. 20 years later I am still at it, a lot of great memories duck hunting with my dad.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
we were there yesterday too. in section 13 never saw a deer very little shooting. we had a fun time though

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I agree 100%. Wind was swirling and nobody near us either

·
Registered
130 Posts

We got lucky and got my step-daughter her first deer ever in the first hour at the Mosquito hunt Sunday.

I never would've even considered not taking her. And if I couldn't have used it, I would've offered up the permit to someone who could. Pretty amazing that people pass on these opportunities to take kids. I have been able to get my wife and youngest step-daughter their first turkeys this spring and this buck this year and it has been by far the most rewarding hunting I have ever been involved with.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Way to go!

As far as the no shows, I know other states have issues with anti hunters applying for draws on elk and deer tags. That way they "save" some animals from hunters by taking a spot and not showing up. I hope that isn't the issue here.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Way to go!

As far as the no shows, I know other states have issues with anti hunters applying for draws on elk and deer tags. That way they "save" some animals from hunters by taking a spot and not showing up. I hope that isn't the issue here.
The same thing crossed my mind with anti-hunters taking up spots! I would not be surprised if that happened!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Don't take your kids hunting and fishing. I've been taking my son since he was very small. First, I stopped shooting pheasants so I could make sure he was safe and I could run the dog. Then I had to stop fishing so I could take his fish off the hook and fix his tangles. Now he is 15 and embarasses me by outshooting me in 5 stand, shooting ducks before I can get a shot off and catching twice as many perch as me...lol

But... the bonus is that those perch sure taste good. And having someone tie worm harnesses for walleye fishing is helpful. And I don't have to drive the boat anymore. And he did buy me that coffee for Father's Day...

·
Registered
152 Posts
If people who are drawn don't show and don't have the decency to transfer it to someone who will I believe that they should not be eligible the following year for any hunt draw

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I do not no much about this drawing hunts thing. because i dont do it. but to keep anti hunters from taking hunts why dont the dnr require you to have a hunting lisence before applying. If this was the case a anti would have to buy a hunting lisence which in turn would benfit hunting.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hunted mosquito yesterday with my son. 20 no shows. I talked to the guy at the HQ for a while after hunting until 5. They pull 60 hunters a day, for 8 total hunts he said they average 20 no shows a day. That's just the gun hunts. He said archery numbers are worse.

Sounded like most left after the first couple hrs, complaining of not seeing any deer. He said 6 deer were killed, including 3 decent 8 points. One of which he guessed to be in the 130s. Not the kids first deer, but his first buck.

With 20 no shows a day, on average, they ought to let you bring a kid and pick up the scraps after everyone with a permit gets situated. I think they do that with the waterfowl fields, or at least they used to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts