Building a Wetland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taters7, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Taters7

Taters7 New Member

What steps do I take to build a couple wetlands? My family owns a farm we have plenty of land . Just wasn't sure who to contact or where to start

2. Mariner220V

Mariner220V Active Member

call mark whitt with ODNR private land biologist, hell give you some ideas and if you wanna get on a govt program.....the problem of signing the govt program is only 10 percent can be flooded crops and 15 year deal.

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

where are you located? I just finished adding 3 acres onto my original 2 acres that I built 9 years ago. You are more than welcome to come and take a look and I can help you out with some f the details. Also...message FEATHERDUSTER on here, he built himself a very nice one and has lots of knowledge that I am sure he would be willing to share.

4. oldschool

oldschool Active Member

Check with the Soil Water Conservation district in the county you live. They have plenty of contacts. There is a lot of money and different programs available. Groups partner together also.

We have 7 project done over the last 12 years , most of the time is't not that difficult to find funding.

Build it they will come...

5. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Where are you at? I'm on the soil and water conservation district board in Jackson, Ohio and we also have a non profit land trust that specializes in wetlands. I may be able to help you out.

6. Taters7

Taters7 New Member

Medina county ... Spencer Ohio . Let me know lone wader 330-635-5968

7. Taters7

Taters7 New Member

Anyone is welcome to contact me and shoot me a text with some help and ideas . Thanks guys it means a lot ! Heck you help me build it and your more than welcome to hunt it with me sometime !

8. FEATHERDUSTER

FEATHERDUSTER Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things you have to consider, before you start. Are you putting in a wetland for harvest or production? Money help available if for production.Where is your water coming from, how water are going to need? (326,000 gallons per acre foot) do you have the time and machinery to maintain? I will send you a PM with my number, and tell you the mistakes I have made. There is a fine line between a wetland and a wet money pit!!!