Best waterfowl choke?

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by Drake22, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Drake22

Drake22 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">What's the best waterfowl choke out there?&nbsp; How do they pattern?&nbsp; Pro / Cons???&nbsp; Improved or Modified?&nbsp; Or something else?????<BR><BR>I'm looking at the "Duck Commander" series?&nbsp; I shoot a Browning Gold and would like some first hand experiences.&nbsp; Mainly be hunting from a field blind and a little from a blind on the river.&nbsp; </P>

2. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Hey if your gun is a 3.5", try this combo, it might work well for you too:&nbsp; I have a Browning BPS Mag, which is also an Invector-Plus barrel, the same as your Gold.&nbsp; I did some patterning work earlier this week with the factory Mod choke.&nbsp; I used Federal Heavy High Velocity #1 shot, in the 1.5oz load.&nbsp; At 40 yards the patterns were perfect- if the bird doesn't drop at 40 yards or closer than I can't blame the gun or load!&nbsp; That's just a place to start for you... I've&nbsp;recently learned the importance of patterning each gun/load/choke combo- over the past few weeks I've had out each of my guns, and I was surprised at&nbsp;how some of the combinations worked great and others looked like crap.&nbsp; That Federal load and Invector-Plus choke combo was awesome in my BPS, but when I tried it in my 11-87 with the Mod choke it looked awful, a duck could fly right thru the pattern.&nbsp; So start trying things till you find a good one!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dustin</P>

3. ignantmike

ignantmike Member

<P>how does your factory tubes look?........pattern those first and see.......my beretta factory tubes worked just fine...if i use load's that where 1450fps and slower....it doesnt seem to like the 1500fps and faster load's......i havent tried the gold hunter yet.....but i'm told that the bigger barrel likes the faster steel.....</P>

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>It all comes down to your gun and what ammo you use with what choke. Some ammo won't pattern well with certain chokes and some ammo is awesome with a particular choke. I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle and use Kenst Fast Steeel # 3 in 3.5 inch with a light modified choke. I plaster the birds with this combo, but when I used my modified choke with same ammo and gun , it didn't pattern very well. Best advice, put it on paper and try several chokes and a couple of different waterfowl loads and see what works best for you. Good luck.</P>

5. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">My experience with chokes matches that of ducksmasher.&nbsp; Using conventional choke tube in my Nova, the best (tightest) patterns with #3 steel was with the Briley IM, with #2's is was a Briley M, with #1's and BBB's it was the LM.&nbsp; The one complaint I had about the Brileys, and this is applicable to&nbsp;virtually all conventional chokes, is that they tend to pattern best within a limited range of shot sizes.&nbsp; If you want the&nbsp;best patterns with a variety of&nbsp;loads, you have to switch chokes.&nbsp; This is particularly a problem with large size steel shot goose loads.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I used conventional chokes, the Briley M patterned&nbsp;my 2's the best, but the BBB's&nbsp;I used&nbsp;for geese required a LM.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Switching to a .675" Terror upped the pattern percentages over that obtained with the Brileys from about 12% to 25%, depending on the shot size.&nbsp; The greatest increase in pattern percentages was with the larger shot sizes.&nbsp; The .675" Terror also has a wider range of shot sizes with which it works well.&nbsp; I can shoot 3's to BBB's from it and get very good patterns with all of them.&nbsp; However, it's disadvantage is that the patterns it shoots make it most effective in the 35 to 50 yard ranges.&nbsp; Closer shots require you to either let the bird get out a little further before shooting, and/or spending time practicing your shooting with tight patterning chokes and loads.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

6. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">These three pics. are from a Nova and using a 1 1/16 oz. 3" handload of 2's at about 1600 fps. at 40 yards.&nbsp; It patterns fairly comparable to the Kent 1 1/8 oz. load of 2's, but with fewer pellets.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">One pic. is of the load from a .675" Terror and the&nbsp;other is from a .665" Terror choke.&nbsp;One pic. is of the load from a Briley extended modified.&nbsp; The .665"&nbsp;was the first Terror choke I purchased.&nbsp; It patterned&nbsp;2's and 1's great for long distance shooting, but it was too tight to pattern my BBB load consistently well, so I bought the .675" and that is what I&nbsp;normally have in the gun.&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The patterns with this load a bit thin at 40 yards with the Briley, and the pattern pics show why I prefer the Terror choke.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Drundel has some pics on his pattern page of his patterns using the Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz. #3 load using Briley chokes and they are also a bit thin at 40 yards.&nbsp; When I saw them, I was surprised how poorly they did from his SBE, particularly considering how popular they are among duck hunters.&nbsp; I patterned about 5 for him through the Terror as he had a couple of cases of them and wanted a choke which patterned them better than his Brileys.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://shotshell.drundel.com/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://shotshell.drundel.com/</A></P>

7. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>I too have used Briley chokes in my SBE and have limited sucess with them, I switched back to my factory choke and did just fine. I'm going to play around with some more chokes and patterns next year. I have used the haydel decoy choke tube with Kentfast steel #2 1625 FPS and wasn't impressed. The speed with the restriction of the choke at decoying range was super tight, to the point where it was just plain silly. Went to a slower ammo 1550 FPS and opened the pattern up very nice.</P>

8. OhioWildfowler

OhioWildfowler New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Again I have to go with triple and the .675 Terror choke using the HV steel loads&nbsp;. These things are just amazing after using Briley tubes for years and having to change choke tube for every shot size I bought the .675 terror and it stays in my sbe unless I'm layout boat hunting then I use a Briley or Trulock LM or M depending on if I'm shooting steel or hevi shot reloads.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Tim</P>

9. 147Grain

147Grain New Member

<P>Remington's website says their Hevi-Shot loads pattern best in chokes with a .675 constriction, so that is why I like and use HS Strut's Waterfowl Undertaker (.675), with the OEM Remington Full Choke (marked "Lead or Steel") being a close second with a constriction of .691.</P>