BENELLI SBE1 SLUG BARREL

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by RegisteredNurse, May 12, 2005.

1. RegisteredNurse

RegisteredNurse Active Member

<P>I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON SELLING MY MOSSBERG 500 FULLY RIFLED BARREL SLUG GUN, AND ADD THE SBE SLUG BARREL TO MY SBE1 IN ADVANTAGE TIMBER WHICH I LOVE. I USE IT FOR EVERYTHING!!&nbsp;I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS WORTH PAYING THE ABSURD PRICE BEING ASKED FOR THE BARREL, PLUS&nbsp;EXTRA FOR ADVANTAGE TIMBER PATTERN, PLUS REPLACEMENT FORE-END? IF YOU HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON QUALITY,&nbsp;ACCURACY, OR&nbsp;A USED BARREL FOR SALE OR TRADE/PARTIAL TRADE&nbsp;FOR &nbsp;FIREARMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!&nbsp;&nbsp; ERIK</P>

2. CODB

CODB Member

<P>I'm not completely familiar with Benellis but aren't they backbored making it a bad idea to shoot slugs through? I know 835's are supposed to be shot shells only but not sure if that's because of the backboring or over bored.</P>

3. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P>The SBE's are actually undersized, not backbored or overbored.&nbsp; The traditional standard bore ID for a 12ga. was .729", or thereabouts. Mossberg 500 smoothbores I have checked usually ran .731" to .733". According to an email received in response to a question concerning SBE bore ID's, Benelli&nbsp;said that their tolerance range for bore ID's was from .721" to .728".&nbsp; Generally, they run between .722" and .725".</P>

4. pintaildreamer

pintaildreamer Active Member

If your Mossberg shoots well and you are comfortable with it why change,its always good to have more than one gun. I have an SBE for waterfowl but use an 1100 with rifled barrel for deer hunting.

5. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>whoever is using an improved cylinder to shoot slugs <FONT color=#ff0000><STRONG><U>"STOP" </U></STRONG></FONT><FONT color=#333333>You are not doing yourself any favors here. The improved cylinder is used for bird shot only, you are asking for trouble by doing this. If you are shooting rifled slugs use a smooth bore barrel only, sabots us e the rifled barrel.</FONT></P>

6. ducksnbucks

ducksnbucks Member

<P>Why couldn't you use a ic choke to shoot rifled slugs, no harm in doing so! </P>

7. greybeard

greybeard New Member

<P>I have a E. Shaw rifled slug barrel for my SBE with a Weaver 4X on top of it and I can tell you this,this outfit will shoot straighter than I can hold it! Very pricey but well worth the money if you want a one gun does it all rig.</P>