Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptMark, Nov 6, 2015.

1. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's

Bass Pro Shops is considering an offer to buy Cabela's, according to a Reuters news service report.
    The report, published early Thursday afternoon, doesn't cite any sources. Cabela's didn't immediately return a call for comment. A Bass Pro Shops spokesman said in an email: "We are aware of recent media speculation and our policy is not to comment on market rumors."

Cabela's stock rose sharply on the Reuters report, gaining about 9 percent by midafternoon to trade at $43.07 a share on the New York Stock Exchange. Ahead of Elliott's announcement that it had taken the large stake in Cabela's, the retailer's stock had dropped 37 percent so far this year.
    Were Bass Pro to buy Cabela's and consolidate staff in Springfield, Missouri, where Bass Pro is based, it could be devastating for Sidney. Cabela's employs about 2,000 people in the Sidney area, which has a population of about 6,800.

Bass Pro is working with an
    investment bank on the potential offer, Reuters reported. "Cabela's has recently begun to explore its options and has also reached out to private equity firms to solicit interest," said the unidentified sources cited by Reuters

2. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

I wonder how this will effect cabelas points on our cc? I have over $700 in points. I wonder if we will lose them?

3. Omnivore

Omnivore Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this WCFB1. I think I have close to $400 saved up.

4. Qback5

Qback5 Member

Usually the point stuff is all spelled out in the agreements, and if bass pro buys, they will only want to keep the customers they are essentially buying in good graces! That said, I've been very frustrated with cabelas customer support and shipping fees that are easily beaten by competitors (which is why I often go to competitors)...so change will be welcomed from my end!

5. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't happen. BPS prices are outrageous. Cabela's will put things at a decent price and their clearance prices are great! Not to mention the quality of the products.

d r

6. CaptMark

I will give you 50 cents on the dollar $$$$

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPkJH6BT7dM[/ame]

7. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

I hope not. BPS is awful. Prices are outrageous, products are terrible, and they rarely have anything you actually need in stock.

8. jjm

jjm Active Member

I have been buying less and less from cabelas for past seven years. Just isn't company it used to be

9. jmschreck1

jmschreck1 Active Member

I'm headed to the one in Buda Texas tomorrow to pick up a layout blind. Nice store and I will pass a big Bass Pro to get there.

10. marshman

marshman Member

BPS vs Cabelas

Wonder how this might affect the Cabela's store being built in Avon. I understand BPS considered building or was building east of Cleveland??? If so, it's difficult to believe the area could support 2 stores. Folks in Avon should be worried if the buy-out rumor is true.

Regardless, not worried about my 824 Cabela's points. They will transfer to a new buyer. Experienced this with the merger of Continental with United. They will take care of the loyal customers.

11. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

I prefer to shop at The Fin when I can. After doing this stuff for so many years seems like I got 2 of everything. Really the only thing I need from time to time is waders and I like the Cabelas brand. MJ

12. toby

toby Member

I hope rogers is going to triple their inventory.

13. jmschreck1

jmschreck1 Active Member

I mentioned this article to a female worker at Cabela's today and she said no way they were going to let that happen/ Nice fiery attitude from her about it made me proud.

14. CaptMark

Unfortunately the Cabela's employees will have no say in this take over bid .

15. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Could care less. They both are over priced. I can buy everything I need from other online sources cheaper and without tax. Most of the times I get shipping for free.

16. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

Big competing brand names like that typically have loyal customers, Cabela's loyalists won't shop at BP and vice versa. If BPS did buy Cabela's and they rebranded the Cabella's stores and/or shut them down, they would essentially be alienating all of the customers they just bought.

I'd have to assume that any buyout would retain the branding and they would continue to operate as two independent entities similar to how Beretta and Benelli operate since Beretta purchased Benelli in 2000.

Even if it goes through, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any change.

17. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

in reference to the loyal customer comment, I buy fishing stuff from bass pro and hunting stuff from cabela's.

18. mwlax24

mwlax24 New Member

The biggest change will be that you will be able to be able to earn Cabelas points at BPS now. If BPS could have bought the Foremost Bank alone they would have....

19. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

I doubt that would even happen