bad dog question

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Dogs' started by punkboy8826, Jul 3, 2005.

1. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>okay guys have a question for you trainer. my lovely dog went out this morning and ran around scenting every tree in our yard . totally ignoring me calling him he then goes across the street and starts marking the neighbors trees with his dog right there. ears back and all. well i go over and seperate the two and my dog gets a stick on the back side to get his attention. well he barks and growls at me 4 times before i get him over to my house. he has bitten my wife once and that was a similar situation also. would getting him neutered help this situation out. i don't need him biting someone,my self or anyone else. he was put on his run after wards then i put his collar on and had him sit and come he got zapped twice and that was it . any ideas on what to do. thanks guys</P>

2. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>forgot to mention that he is a german wirehair.</P>

3. Orion

Orion New Member

Let me get this right; your dog has bitten your beloved wife, has acted aggressively towards you, and you still have him? Have you lost your mind? Are you waiting for a child or someone outside your family to get bitten before you do something? Do you enjoy dealing with lawyers and insurance companies? <br> <br> Seems like you have two choices; permanently muzzle the dog, only taking it off so he can eat, or put the dog down. I would never keep a dog that bit anyone, especially my wife. Sorry to be blunt, but you did ask for opinions. <br>

4. CMDUX

CMDUX Member

<P>put it down.&nbsp; it's a timebomb.</P>

5. Ylwlabs

Ylwlabs New Member

<P>Great Post Kevin.. Put the dog down!!!</P>

6. Duxbak

Duxbak New Member

<P>You have 2 choices. Put the animal down or contact an animal behaviorist. Not a trainer , it is more of a Physiologist for animals. They can tell you if the dog has other issues that lead to this behavior. It will not be cheap and they may still tell you to put it down.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Have you ever watched the show 'The Dog Whisper'.&nbsp;The guy in the show has done wonders with troubled animals. More times than not it is an&nbsp; owner issue, more than an animal issue.&nbsp;Just an opinion, don't want to get a major issue going.&nbsp;</P>

7. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>thanks guys and i was told by a couple other dog trainers to have his thyroid checked something about thyroid aggression.anyway he lying here next to me fine as can be so we will try everything possible to work this out before we put him down. thanks again and if any of you guys have any other info let me know.</P>

8. Duxbak

Duxbak New Member

<P>The more I thought about it the more it bothered me people&nbsp;are so quick to want to put this dog down. What was the situation in which your wife was bit? What personality does this dog have?&nbsp;What kind of socialization did it have growing? How old of a dog are we talking about? Is it a house dog or kennel dog? Does it realize were it belongs in the social pack of the family? If it is a young dog it may be trying to move up the social ladder. Is there any history from the breeder you can get about litter mates or parents. There could be many under lying issues that could save this animal. Not all bad dogs&nbsp; are bad they may just be confused. There is many more questions that need answered before I would say put it down.&nbsp;</P>

9. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>the situation was about the same we got out and was sent marking and would not listen she grabed his collar and he growled at her she let go and pointed at him telling him not to growl and he got her thumb.his personality is really good he do have a problem with seperation anxiety and that has made things alittle dificult he is 3 years old, stays inside and he knows were he is in the pack.thats why i wondered if getting him neutered would help this out. this is our first dog and he has been great with the kids and he listens and works great. so i will be getting him checked over and i have a call in to the breeder to see if she nows anything that might help.thanks for asking about the situation, seems like alot of dogs get put out without trying to solve the problems first, if we go threw everything and it soesn't work then he will get put down. he went through two obidience classes and two good citizenship classes too. has been at many trainging class with navhda too and has never showed any aggression.</P>

10. pcgoosehunter

pcgoosehunter New Member

<P>Get a female.&nbsp; Show it who is boss.</P>

11. duckgal

duckgal New Member

<P><FONT face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif">Getting him neutered would definitely help with his need to mark everything and go to the neighbors and mark their trees.&nbsp; Growing up I had a intact male lab and since then I will never have another intact male.&nbsp;&nbsp; Talking to your vet about the situation would be the best place to start.</FONT></P>