Anyone use an O/U for geese?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by Bowhunter57, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 New Member

I've only owned 1 O/U shotgun and it was more fun than shooting any other style of shotgun. However, I'm currently shooting a semi-auto and it has me spoiled with the 3rd shot and recoil reduction with the gas system.

Does anyone use an O/U for geese?
    If so, what do you like about it?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

luckyeddie likes this.
  2. Cjensen

Cjensen Active Member

I've shot one a few times I the marsh in South Dakota. I'd still rather shoot my semi auto though. Not worried about dropping it in the water or beating the **** out of it.

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

I used mine exclusively for close to 18 years because it fit so well and I could swing it with ease. It is perfectly balanced. Last year I took to a semi and really like the extra shell until the late season when it got cold. I had it freeze up and ruin a hunt. Now I use the semi until it gets cold and put it away for the O/U. The one thing I can say for sure is that no matter what mother nature throws at you, when you pull the trigger on the O/U it always goes BANG!

4. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443273827.232298.jpg

Lusted after one if these for a long time...decided that third shell is too deadly to forego.

5. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

Guys with double guns shoot just as many birds as the rest of us. Make your first and second shot count and you'll be fine. If you got a crip you got time to reload.

You'll find guys with auto loaders (like me) will go through more ammo since it's hard to restrain yourself sometimes from shooting that 3rd. shot.

Plus dont forget we're hunting in Ohio!. MJ

6. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

I have to disagree. i see myself missing that first shot from time to time usualy due to improper shouldering the gun. When this does happen i no what i need to do and then i can make that 2nd and third shot lethal. Maybe thats just me.

7. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

Sometimes we whiff with all 3! Most guys here own more than one shotgun and it's fun to take em all out during the course of a season. I've owned em all over the years. MJ

8. toby

toby Member

I shot an over/under for quite a few years. Beretta 686, its a sweet gun. Used it for everything. Beat the heck out of it and never had any issues with it. Bought an auto last year because I got bored knocking two geese down. Now I can try for triples. Lol.

9. Matthunts8

Matthunts8 Member

Ragtime-my wife bough me that gun this summer for an anniversary gift...can't wait to "break it in" in Kansas in November!! It sure can bust clays.

10. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

Awesome! Handled it a couple times but never shot one. 100% bada$$.

My wife bought me a candle so that's kinda the same thing.

*CHIT*

11. nelliboy2

nelliboy2 Active Member

I have often lusted at an OU.....I just can't get myself comfortable with giving up my third shot. I have killed alot of birds with my third shot over the years

12. sora

sora New Member

The Beretta 686 USA sweet gun I've been using one for about 20 years. I've shot birds all over North America its nickname is the "meat axe" the gun is balanced, points great plus I can reload and drop the fourth bird before you can reload a repeater. Also the meat axe chambers 3-1/2 with the ability to select a different choke with flip of your thumb makes this my goto duck gun.

13. OnTheFly

OnTheFly Banned

Are you using rem oil on your bolt? I had the same problem. Switched to break free clp and have had no issues at all. It worked instantly

14. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Well-Known Member

I shoot the Beretta Onyx Pro most of the time, if you are fast enough and conditions are right , you can reload and shoot 3 geese, I have done it. :spot:

15. AC_ESS

AC_ESS New Member

Unless I am in a layout all I shoot is my Red label. I find that I focus more on the fundamentals of shooting, I don't cripple as many birds with that unnecessary third shot and I don't shoot as many shells.