Any pipe creek reports?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by duckman2151, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Have unit D on oct 22. Hunted pickerel opening day in zone 1 killed 3 ducks the only 3 ducks that came in our zone . Ottawa shooting club sounded like a war zone and saw 100s of ducks flying over them all morning

2. Not a ton shooting in pickerel from what I could hear.

3. VJW

VJW New Member

Pipe Creek was productive today (a bluebird day). Killed mallards, GWTs, wood ducks, and a spoonie. The action was hot and heavy for the first hour or so, then switched to cormorant watching with intermittent shooting. You’ll have a great hunt next week. Good luck.

duckman2151 likes this.
  4. Thank you for a great report !

5. twolabman

twolabman Member

What unit did you have at Pipe creek today?
    I will be up there on Tuesday and looking forward to it. Weather looking like a good duck day with some wind for Tuesday. thanks

6. VJW

VJW New Member

I had Unit C. It sounded like Units B and D also had a good day.

duckman2151 likes this.
  7. VJW

VJW New Member

For those hunting Pipe Creek (at least Unit C) during the rest of the season, my only suggestion is, once it gets really cold, consider bringing a platform for your dog (to raise the dog out of the water). The entire unit is flooded. There is no high ground out of the water, certainly not anywhere near where you’d want to set up. We had relatively warm weather (50ish to start, peaking at 65), so it was not an issue. Just something to consider once the temps really start to drop.

duckman2151 likes this.
  8. AvianHunter

AvianHunter Active Member

Rats should be extra busy building houses by then, which could help also

9. twolabman

twolabman Member

Another quick question on the Pipe Creek hunt...is this an all day hunt?
    I thought for some reason you had to be out of there by 4pm.
    I put a call into the regional office to confirm but no response back yet.

10. chewy

chewy Member

All day hunt legal shooting hours

11. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

You can leave and return.

12. Let us know how you do and good luck tomorrow !

13. twolabman

twolabman Member

Great day at Pipe today. We hunted unit B and shot 2 limits consisting of Mallards, woodies and teal. First time hunting Pipe creek and was very impressed with this hunt. DNR did a great job of planting various millets and lots of water up there.
    Saw pintails, gads, BW & GW teal, and lots of Mallards.
    We had perfect Conditions all day with steady cloud cover and steady NW winds. Birds flew good all day for the most part with the only slow spot being from 2 - 5:30pm. I will say the birds are starting to get quite decoy shy and skirting the outsides of the open water shooting holes.
    Hundreds and Hundreds of birds piled in this evening just after shooting time and mostly mallards. I was very impressed by the bird numbers up there today. It was a very enjoyable steady hunt with mostly shooting singles.

14. Hunted unit d , had 2-300 mallard roosted in there. Jumped them all out walking in . Killed 1 mallard 3 woodies. Hardly any ducks flying just cormorants. Will say it’s a beautiful place and very well maintained. Would def go back . There’s just no weather or new ducks. We knew the guys in unit c they killed 8 ducks . Don’t know what unit b killed. Hopefully our north zone season goes well starting Saturday!