Antlers Turning White

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by py_archer, Jul 2, 2005.

1. py_archer

py_archer New Member

<P>I've got an old gun kill that is starting to lose it's color. Is there anything I could do that would keep it from deteriorating into dust?<BR><BR>Thanks </P>

2. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">couple of questions for you first.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">#1 were is your mount positioned in your house? is it near a window were the sun light will hit it. is it near a heat exchange vent?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">the light of the sun will detereate your mounts, the fur and horns will turn color over time.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">#2 how old is this mount?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

3. py_archer

py_archer New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for the reply punkboy. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">1. It is not near a heat duct or window, but it is near the ceiling where it's warmer.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">2. 16 years old.</P>

4. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>wipe it off with a damp cloth, sounds like it is lossing its moister, do you have a dry house? might try vasaline on it, just a little might help keep it moist. if you have a dry house try a humidifier.just on the horns too.is the color changing on the horns? do you have any shed horns lying around? if so try a lite brown shoe polish on the shed and see if you can get the right color then try it on your head. hope this helps some. let me know andy</P>

5. mac

mac New Member

<P>archer, You can also try a light coat of walnut stain carefully and sparingly applied to the horns. Just wipe on and wipe off. Go heavier on the bases and hardly any on the ends. Use a good reference picture or another set to try to get the color right. It can be trial and error but you can get good results. After you get your color you can seal the antlers with a satin or Matte finish. I like the matte finish myself. A couple coats should do you fine. Good luck and if you have questions feel free to contact&nbsp;me through my web site at mcnamarastaxidermy.com or call 419-647-0204. Hope all goes well, Jim&nbsp;</P>