Anhydrous Ammonia (Any Effect on Turkeys?)

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Bshive, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have noticed that the farmers have been spraying anhydrous ammonia on their fields lately and I was wondering if it has any effect on the turkeys. i.e. Will it kill the turkeys if they consume it accidentally?&nbsp; I have noticed that once the weeds are killed in the fields, the birds move elsewhere.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Bryan</P>

2. HonkerBonker

HonkerBonker New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I don't want to come off as a smartass, but NH3 (anhydrous amonia) is not sprayed on fields but is injected or knifed into the soil.&nbsp; Anhydrous means "without water" so the nitrogen immediately goes for any moisture.&nbsp; Once in the soil it is very stable, and you could dig into later and not suffer any ill effects.&nbsp; The same goes for wildlife.&nbsp; If you were to come in contact with NH3 directly, you would suffer severe burns and if it gets into your eyes you will have irreversible eye damage or permanent blindness.&nbsp; In spite of these dangers, it is still an excellent source of nitrogen.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">As for spraying fields.&nbsp; Most are receiving burndown and residual herbicides along with 28% liguid nitrogen.&nbsp; None of these compounds will cause any health effects to wildlife.&nbsp; It may also work to your advantage that fields are getting sprayed.&nbsp; It will concentrate the birds into the hay fields and winter wheat fields where the insects and other good feed are.</P>

3. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for the Info.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I always assumed that the foam and liquid I sometimes see in the fields was from the anhydrous ammonia portable tanks in the front of the fields.&nbsp; I just usually never see any birds in my aggricultural fields after they have been sprayed with an herbicide.&nbsp; </P>

4. BigDale

BigDale New Member

<P>The foam is a marker for a sprayer. As stated Anhydrous is injected, not sprayed but you will see alot of pre-emergent chemical application around the same time farmers are knifeing anhydrous.</P>