Adiierent ending

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wxg999, Dec 17, 2015.

1. wxg999

wxg999 Active Member

I was hunting Nimi with my brother and we had not seen anything to speak of for the whole day ; when suddenly a flock of five small ducks spotted our decoys and came right in. We dropped one and it came down about a hundred yards from our blind. I told my brother you watch the bird I'll get the boat and pick him up. I took a look thru my binoculars to get a bearing when suddenly something large filled my field of vision. I looked up and an eagle was trying to nail the duck. He made five passes and each time the duck dove beneath the war. On the sixth pass the eagle pulled up short and just hovered. When the duck came up the eagle pounced on him, scooped him right off the water and flew away with his dinner. I just sat there and laughed. What are the chances of losing a bird to an eagle in Akron Ohio ?

2. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Wow that is pretty cool.

3. peanut

peanut Active Member

Lost one to a yote (I believe) at grand river once. Had a dead mallard next to my blind for a while. Wing another one that sails over the dike, into the creek on the other side. I spent about 30 minutes chasing it and trying to finish him off. Get back to the blind and the other one was gone and all the grass I had him concealed in was torn up and moved.

I would have much rather watched an eagle steal it though!!

4. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

i was chasing down a crippled wood duck one year in a flooded river bottom and a redtail hawk swooped in through the trees and got it. prety cool to see.

5. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

When I hunted the KY River in TN one of the guys busted a Golden Eye. As soon as the sucker hit the water the eagle that was sitting about 200 yards away took flight and started circling. The guide started throwing rocks at the duck to keep the eagle away while his dog was retrieving. I wondered what the coffee can of rocks was for.

d r

6. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

I lost one to an eagle at resthaven once. He perched on a tall tree about a hundred yards away and stayed there the entire time as if he was waiting for us to drop him some dinner. Sure enough, the first bird I shot (woody) became eagle food.

7. IMissed

IMissed Member

Last year, field setup. Boring normal lack of birds:rotate:

Swoop, landed in the spread, barred tail hawk. Least that's what I call them, thinner profile then a redtail, longer tail, with several horizontal bars. I was thinking 'please don't attack my dekes,pl...'' took off. It set there about 15 seconds, got some fuzzy pics on my cheapie fone...

neat story on the eagles thnx!

8. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

had a redtail slam a dove decoy one time

9. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

The incredible thing about that story is that you shot a bird at Resthaven.

10. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

Straight from the ODOW propaganda page! :spot:

HUNTING AND FISHING​
    The area is popular for rabbit and pheasant hunting. Rails, snipe, woodcock, and a few gallinules also offer hunting​
    opportunities. Waterfowl hunting is usually best early in the season and during periods of rough, windy weather​
    that forces waterfowl inland from Lake Erie and Sandusky Bay. During this rough weather a good spread of decoys​
    is helpful.

On a side note, we dumped a beautiful drake redhead at the Fairport wall one year. Before we could get in the boat to retrieve it, a huge ugly gull flew down on it, plucked it up in its beak and flew off with it!

11. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

Two years ago I watched a bald eagle play cat and mouse with a bill crip. A lot of swooping and then just a hover and then talons. Took it straight up to a tall tree for lunch. Cool to see. I watched a small hawk attack a hen mallard in the air today while layout hunting. She flipped over in mid air to break free from the hawk. First I've seen that.

12. jjm

jjm Active Member

Lost one to a musky about 25 years ago

13. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

14. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

That would be awesome to see. saw a musk drill the last wood duck duckling in the pack a few years ago.