4/27 Hunt

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Bshive, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Bshive

Bshive Member

<p style="MARGIN: 0px">Took my buddy from opening day out this morning.&nbsp; I only have about an hour and a half before work, so it has to happen first thing or he's screwed.&nbsp; He doesn't really know how to call yet.</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">We went to one ridge top and all the gobbles were on the next ridge over.&nbsp; We huffed it over there and by the time we got to the top, the birds had moved to the creek bottom.&nbsp; We setup directly above them on a logging road and setup for the call through.&nbsp; The birds didn't gobble at any of my calls until I hit the gobble shaker.&nbsp; I knew that there were at least 4 birds down there and that is the only time I will use it.&nbsp; They hammered it everytime and made their way up the hill and hung up at 51 yards.&nbsp; While they were coming up the hill, I was walking back and forth on the opposite side of the ridge top calling with every step like a lost hen.&nbsp; They showed up and there was 2 big toms and 4 jakes with a bunch of hens.&nbsp; The 2 big boys were strutting it up but wouldn't come to the decoys.&nbsp; Everytime the jakes would make a move towards the hens or decoys, the toms would double team them and whoop them.&nbsp; The hens moved off to the opposite end of the logging road and the toms followed.</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">We gave it about 15 minutes and slowly crept towards them.&nbsp; We rounded a bend and saw them strutting and fighting in a powerline clear cut about 70 yards away.&nbsp; There was a fallen down tree that we knew we had to get to in order to have a shot.&nbsp; We crawled on our knees until we made it to the tree.&nbsp; The big toms then moved out of site and to the left, but were still only 15 yards out through some brush.&nbsp; I hit the calls and they went nuts, but the first birds to show at the opening was the 4 jakes.&nbsp; They came into less than 10 yards, but I couldn't get that tom to clear that brush.&nbsp; M</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">I guess my buddy decided that he wanted a jake, because he pulled the trigger without telling me!&nbsp; I don't know how, but he MISSED cleanly with not one, but two shots at less than 10 yards.&nbsp; At that time, it was time for me to leave for work and he stayed.&nbsp; </p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">Saw 3 strutters in another powerline clearing about 200 yards away from him on my way out, so I'll let you know if he connects. (Doubtfull)</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">Felt good to hear the woods awaken this morning.&nbsp; It was a great morning for hunting with the sunshine and all.</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p><p style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</p>

2. Howman

Howman New Member

<p><font face="Verdana" size="3">Exciting Morning. He was probably too close and blew the pattern, 10 yards you better be all over that head or you will miss. Glad they gobbled you way. I worked the entire 800 acres seemed like this morning and not one gobble. Even used the shaker, matter of fact the owl, hawk, peacock, 5 mouth calls, 2 box calls, 2 different slates, and 2 different puch button boxes and nothing. Did call in 1 deer that got about 20 feet away and smelled the decoy, that was pretty cool. Good luck and glad to see your helping someone else out.</font></p>

3. GOOSE48

GOOSE48 Member

I had luck like that myself today, I got im front of one he came across a wheat field to me stood there at about forty yards so I pulled the trigger and watch him fly off. All I can figure is that I shot over the top of him.

4. bandseeker

bandseeker New Member

I think you are better off shooting them at 20 yards! I had a shot at a gobbler a few years ago as I was laying down in a field. I couldnt take it any longer when he was at 5ft!!! and rose up to shoot. Well, I shot 3 times(still had mr duck plug in) and missed, but dropped another round in and rolled him at 40 yards!!! Sometimes closer isnt better