4/26 Hunt

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Howman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Howman

Howman New Member

<P>Hunted Stark County, just north of Tuscarawas County on a 800 acre private farm. Little rain first thing this morning. One truck beat me there, dang Waffle House is&nbsp;going to be the death of me. Went on top of the main ridge and just listened in a power line clearing. Heard where the other guy was. Went opposite way. 1st setup was a bust. Nothing going. Started cutting and running. Got a response back in the power line clearing where I was in the dark. Headed that way. Heard a shot. Later found out the guy killed a nice jake. After the shot, the woods erupted. Got to the clearing and had one gobble real close. 30 seconds later I had one strutting on the trail above me that I had litteraly just walked in on. So out of the corner of my eye I saw him strutting. Meanwhile, I hear something right in front of me and slowly turn to see a hen about 10 yards from me. Busted......that game was over. However, some more birds were going. Worked to them and around them and got setup and here they came. Hung up at a ravine I forgot was there. 3 of them. Just strutting up a storm. Gobbled at the geese flying over and every sound I made for 45 minutes. Knew I was screwed so I worked back from where I came from heading back tot he power line clearing. Yelping as I moved because I was making some noise. Things were gobbling there heads off. Got back to the clearing and had nothing to sit against and here they came, I just sat down like I was a big bush with no time to setup a deke. 2 jakes and looked like a good size boss. He was strutting hard and was trying to hang back but he wanted in on the fun. The first jake nailed me at 15 yards and moved off but the gobbler kept strutting until the 2nd jake busted me and he started moving away and I had a good shot and was on the mouth call and he stopped......and I promptly missed. Can't get them all I guess, sure would have like to fill the 2nd tag today. Oh well, another lesson learned and unfortunately another educated gobbler. Be back out in the morning. Hunted until 10:45am. No other action after my shot at 9:15am.</P>

2. ToledoDean

ToledoDean New Member

Sounds like you had some fun!!

3. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P>Sorry about the bad luck. There is still alot of time in the season.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I&nbsp;have missed two the last two years. The first on the fly with a high viz sight after&nbsp;I stood up to shoot one on a deep ravine below me. The next last year when I shot a tree about ten feet in front of me on a nice gobbler on&nbsp;the last Friday. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">One thing for certain it will probaby happen again someday. One for the memories.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

4. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">What time do you want to meet ? you got my heart pumping.......</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">i've been hunting Charles Mill with my 8 yr old over the past weekend,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">cutting &amp; running, put the bead on a couple of hens, but the gobblers</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">been elusive. The kid really likes the turkey hunting, even woke me up</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Sat morning....."Dad we going hunting today ?"</P>