3 days

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kaiser878, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Member

Just sayin'

:shootingguns:

2. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Too damn hot for that. Good luck, but im going to wait until cooler weather. It feels too much like work when I have to worry about beating the flies to it. Hahaha

3. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

UNless you have a deer in a pattern moving in daylight or just want to slam a slick head, I think we do more harm hunting the early season. Especially if you are limited on properties. I know every property and area is different, but my daylight activity on cams increases dramatically starting about Oct 20. That's when I get serious and some years it doesn't happen. Last year I saw plenty of bucks, but nothing over 120".

4. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

5. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Member

I am praying that it stays warm....... summer patterns are the cats ass!!!!:D

6. MRDUCKS

MRDUCKS Well-Known Member

Hoping for a chance at thin skinned one myself!

7. MRDUCKS

Is that the one you keep annoying in your back yard?

8. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

yes 1 of 4 :duckhunting:

9. the_lone_wader

I agree, summer patterns are nice. As long as you can get one to step out in enough light to find your pin, it's easier than trying to find a pattern later in the fall closer to the rut. However, I still can't get in the mood when I'm still swatting mosquitoes and scraping fly eggs off my deer by the time I find it. Haha

10. I had a nice summer pattern of a couple nice bucks. Their group seems to have broken up in the last week or so. The nicest one is still showing up mid morning I think Im going to give them a 1 day a week try until duck season. Then wait for the rut.

11. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

I haven't even been out to scout this year. Too busy with school/work/family. I'm really focused on the controlled hunts we have lined up on October, November, December, and January. I'll get out there as soon as I get caught up with the school stuff.

d r

12. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Member

I blew it on my target deer. Had him at 15 yards for about 10 minutes. Head in most of the time, had him quartering towards me for a little bit. Should have killed him, but I didn't want to take a marginal shot. Just checked cam, he's gone. So either I spooked him when I got out of my stand or he relocated. Either way, it's no one's fault but my own. First time I've ever messed up on a deer of that size.
    [​IMG]

13. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Wait until the rut kicks in, everything changes.

d r

14. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

Not that thats a small deer. i would have defentily took him. but surprised you would on first day. what did u figure he would score? by look of pic i was thinking 140 at best. unless hes much wider than i am thinkin.

15. the_lone_wader

That's a mature deer, regardless of score. However, without even seeing the spread, I would day that deer is better than 140. Look at the tine length.

16. Qback5

Qback5 Member

Sorry to hear how it worked out for you. Good for you for taking your time and not rushing anything. Anything can and will happen. Keep at it! Maybe let the area calm down a week or more.

As for points, in my humble opinion it doesn't matter---looks like a trophy to me! I once read and agree with the following quote (original source unknown): "never pass on a buck the first day that you would shoot on the last day"

17. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Member

That deer is knocking on 160. 11-12 in g2s and g3s. 5-7 inch g4s. 4-5 in brows. He's a solid mid 150s, maybe like I said knocking on 160s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. MRDUCKS

What a sight!

I'm sure that you will impress us Zach.

19. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

O yes he is a STUD! could not notice the tine length. Them g2s and 3s are awesome.Much heavier than i thought also. Awesome deer. hope ya get him.

20. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Member

I don't know man.... I probably won't see this deer again. And unless another shows up, it might be a less than stellar year. I have another deer that's flirting with 140 yhats very regular.... but I don't wanna shoot another 141 in gross deer. So I'm just avoiding that farm. Just rrally dissipointed in myself..... but that's why is called hunting