10 Gauge Varmint Loads with .705" Terror Choke

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by tripleb, May 29, 2005.

1. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">When I hunt fox or coyotes with a shotgun, I use my 10 gauge.&nbsp; I patterned 2 oz. BB and #2 lead shot loads previously through my Terror chokes, but never fired the 4 buckshot load I prefer to use for coyotes.&nbsp; The .705" Terror patterned lead shot loads better than the .720" (which I prefer for steel shot loads), giving very good patterns with the lead BB's and #2 shot, but I was concerned that the #4 buckshot might be too big for the tight constriction of the .705" Terror choke.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I had previously tried patterning #4 lead buckshot through my Nova and .675" Terror, and while that choke patterns steel shot up to and including BBB's very well, it was marginal with lead BB's and terrible with #4 lead buckshot.&nbsp; An extended modified patterned the #4 lead buckshot better in the Nova.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Before cleaning up my BPS10 and putting it away until the goose season, I decided to try some 4 buck shot loads through the .705" Terror choke. The pics. below are ones I fired today with the #4 lead buckshot and .705" Terror, and previously with lead BB's and #2's. The buckshot was Hornady brand and if you don't use very high quality lead buckshot, you shouldn't expect good patterns&nbsp;with a tight constricting choke.&nbsp; When using&nbsp;softer shot, a more open choke may pattern better.&nbsp; However,&nbsp;Pattern Master recommended Federal Premium Buckshot and it, too, demonstrated poor patterns when using inferior buckshot load shotshells.</P>

2. decoymeister

decoymeister Member

<P>i use my sp10 and bps10 with #4 buck for coyotes and fox . i get the best pattern with the imp. cyl. choke tube in both guns. we drive them and most shots are running shots and this setup will roll them good.</P>