10 ga. Loads/Chokes

Discussion in 'Shotguns, Shotgunning, Ballistics & "Shooter's Tal' started by seaark18, Aug 5, 2005.

1. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P>Hello All, this is my first post, but I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of the site.&nbsp; I've been waterfowl hunting for about 12 years, so I'd consider myself pretty familiar with the available ammunition on the market today.&nbsp; However, this week I bought a new Browning Gold 10 Light, and before I started buying ammo to use for patterning, I thought I'd ask for some input and&nbsp;advice on where to start.&nbsp; I've been using a 12 ga. since I started&nbsp;waterfowl hunting, and most of my hunting has been done on big water (lake erie/sandusky bay).&nbsp; I've been&nbsp;using a Browing BPS Magnum 3.5in with the factory Mod. Choke&nbsp;and more recently a Remington 11-87 Super Mag with the factory Mod. Choke, and have been happy with both.&nbsp; My favorite steel loads have been Winchester Super-X 3.5in BB with 1 9/16oz and Kent Fasteel 3.5in #1 1 9/16oz for using on the lake, and my first inclination was to start off with those sizes in the new 10 ga.&nbsp; Both loads in 12 ga seem to be versatile enough to use on ducks and also when the occasionaly goose comes along- and they usually knock anything within reasonable range stone dead.&nbsp; However, ammo gets expensive and I'm just looking for some suggestions/advice on what you guys find effective and to find out if anyone else out there hunts with a 10 ga or a Gold 10 in particular.&nbsp; I'd been interested in trying a 10 ga. for a few years, I keep reading articles on how they pattern so well with the larger steel shot, and also how they supposedly hit a bit harder due to a shorter shot string- I guess that's why I decided to buy this gun when I found it - got a great deal.&nbsp; Last fall I bought a case of the new Federal Premium Heavy High-Velocity 12ga 3.5in #1 with 1.5 oz of steel, and had considered picking up some of that for the 10 ga, but I was on Federal's site and the show the 12ga 3.5in load at 1500 fps, and the 10ga at 1450fps.&nbsp; Anyone have any idea why the 10 ga load would be slower the the 12 ga with the same amount of shot?&nbsp; Didn't make sense to me.&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for any input!</P>

2. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">In deference to the older 10ga. guns out there, the 10ga. is loaded by the factories close to the same pressures as the 2 3/4" and 3" 12ga, around 11,500 psi.&nbsp; Actually, slightly less than those pressures&nbsp;for the 10ga.&nbsp; Whereas, the 3.5" 12ga, being new as of 1991? does not have any older guns out there which may chamber it.&nbsp; The 3.5" 12 is loaded up to around 13,500 psi.&nbsp; However, the Brits can load their 10ga. handloads in the same guns we use here, the BPS10, Gold 10 and SP10, up to 15,000 psi.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">If&nbsp;you chronograph the Federal shells, you might find they are actually running slower than advertised.&nbsp; Most Federal&nbsp;steel shot shells do, although they are now usually within 50-75 fps. of advertised velocities.&nbsp; I use a 1 1/2 oz. handload in my BPS10 that delivers a true 1500-1525 fps. &nbsp; </P>

3. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

<P>Hey thanks for the input!&nbsp; Very interesting about the pressures,&nbsp;I hadn't thought of that.&nbsp; I take it you wouldn't recommend Federal shells then?&nbsp; What shot size(s) seem to be the most effective for you?&nbsp; </P>

4. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I wouldn't recommend against the Federal shells as I haven't chronographed any of the new high velocity loadings in the 10ga.&nbsp; It's just that with steel shot shells, Federal has a history going back nearly 15 years of overstating the velocity their loads&nbsp;generate.&nbsp; I haven't read of anyone actually chronographing the new 10ga. shells, so I can't say the same is true with them.&nbsp; The HHV 12ga. loads appear to be much closer to advertised velocities than were their other lower priced&nbsp;shells. Perhaps they have gotten closer to advertised velocities with their 10ga. shells as well.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">It's hard to make a recommendation on shot size since I don't know what the particular requirements are of your situation, range, birds hunted, etc.&nbsp; In my high velocity loads, I prefer BBB's for geese as they carry a lot of energy to give good body penetration at longer ranges.&nbsp; If I knew my shots were going to be 40 yards or under, I might be tempted to use BB's, or even 1's if I thought I might also be shooting ducks with the 10ga.&nbsp; High velocity 1's are big enough to kill geese with body penetration within 40 yards, but they run out of steam for birds the size of Canada geese&nbsp;very quickly beyond that.&nbsp; Under 40 yards, many shooters use the smaller duck shot like 1's or 2's and aim for neck and head hits.&nbsp; And, using the duck shot, the low velocity loads will work fine if you can hit the head and neck. I just prefer to use big shot and aim&nbsp;to hit&nbsp;the biggest portion of the goose"s body.&nbsp; Over the years, I have found big shot at velocities over 1400 fps. have proven to be the most effective for me when shooting geese.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">However, whatever you choose, you will have to pattern it at the maximum range you will shoot to see if your load and choke will deliver sufficient pattern density for your purposes.&nbsp; You would be amazed at how badly some chokes and loads will pattern.</P>

5. seaark18

seaark18 New Member

Hey once again thanks for the advice! In the 3.5 12ga. I prefer to use 1's or BB's on ducks, but that is with standard-velocity shells.&nbsp; Part of the reason for that is that those loads seem to pack enough punch for when the occasional goose comes along.&nbsp; I'd say that most of my shots on the lake are between 30 and 40 yards as an average.&nbsp; I shoot primarily mallards, with frequent divers as well (bluebills, etc...).&nbsp; I guess&nbsp;I'll start with Winchester BB's and see how the patterns look, maybe try the federal h.v. and see how the patterns look as well.