Mossberg 5500 Deer gun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chessieboy54, Nov 25, 2008.

1. chessieboy54

chessieboy54 New Member

<P>My fathers friend is selling a Mossberg 5500 with a halo red dot sight and i was wondering what a fair price would be to offer for this gun. I think he said 4 something i was going to give him an&nbsp;offer of 3 and a quarter and was wondering if this was reasonable? Or should i expect higher or can i get it for lower?</P>

2. chessieboy54

chessieboy54 New Member

<P>ya thats understandable i just need a gun to use for deer, i thought it would be better to buy a cheaper gun than putting a deer barrel on my nova</P>

3. Marshhunter

Marshhunter New Member

<P>$275.....tops.....&nbsp; </P>

4. XtendedRange

XtendedRange New Member

no lie $200 is reasonable<br>

5. tripleb

tripleb New Member

I would stay away from the 5500 entirely. It was a model that caused big headaches for Mossberg.&nbsp; They replaced it with the 9200, which was a better gun, although not trouble free either.&nbsp; <br><br>This one may function perfectly well, but many of them did not.&nbsp; That hurts resale value considerably, if you ever want to trade it in on another gun.&nbsp; The dealer may give you virtually nothing for it, knowing the guy he sells it to is likely to bring it back with complaints of problems.<br>

6. Quackersmckr

Quackersmckr New Member

<P>I own 3 Mossbergs, the 500,835,and 935....never had a problem with any of them....people always trash me for shooting mossberg...but i like em</P>

7. NateE43452

NateE43452 New Member

I'd go to gunbroker.com and see what they're going for.&nbsp; Not all Mossbergs are bad guns so I would get an unbias opinion from there.&nbsp; I had a 935 slug gun and it was the best deer gun I've ever had.<br>

8. duckhunterjoe

duckhunterjoe New Member

Mossberg 500<br><br>Deer and Duck Combo<br><br>Should run ya about 300<br><br>best way to go<br>

9. CrewCabMax

CrewCabMax New Member

<P>I love me a Mossberg! Love the 835, and my 935. Betcha it kills anything just as well as your $1000+ shotguns. It only shoots Winchesters too, so i guess i'm just a cheap, but its been deadly towards many, many animals! Winchester slugs, Winchesters field shot, Winchester Clay loads, Winchester steel shot, its ALL GOOD!</P>

10. tripleb

tripleb New Member

Mossbergs, particularly the 835 and 500, are pretty decent guns, especially for the money.&nbsp; But, the general consensus of opinion has been that the 5500 was a big POS.&nbsp; It's sort of Mossberg's version of the Winchester 1400, a bucket of potential problems.&nbsp; You may get one which works perfectly fine, but don't count on it.<br>