Controlled hunt canceled

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quackshot, Jan 9, 2018.

1. quackshot

quackshot Member

Anyone ever had a controlled hunt get canceled due to weather? Weather forecast is starting to look pretty interesting for Plumbrook this weekend. Level 3 road conditions are certainly possible. Some predictions are estimating 18" of snow Friday night and Saturday.

2. PerchMonkey

PerchMonkey Member

Yes controlled hunts have been cancelled due to the marshes being frozen.

Im guessing that 18" is not going to happen...i'll go with 2" max

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

True. When are weather people ever right in their forecasting? The more technology they have, the more of a joke they have become.

coach33 and duck rookie like this.
  4. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

I hunted Plumbrook years ago and it was around zero with 12" of snow down and still coming. I had the same thing with Mosquito Creek and we hunted both. However, that was years ago and people weren't afraid of snow.

d r

coach33 likes this.
  5. quackshot

quackshot Member

I agree not likely it would be canceled or that we would get as much snow as forecasted. They like to make a mountain out of a mole hill. For higher ratings I presume. Just today accuweather changed there forcast down to 3-6" in my area from the 6-10" they forecasted last night.

6. dback

dback Member

Look at this:

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for northeast Ohio which may impact the scheduled deer hunt at Plum Brook Station in Sandusky, Ohio. At this time, the watch does not include Erie County; however, there is potential for freezing rain, sleet, ice accumulations and snow.

Plum Brook Station’s staff will continue to monitor the storm as it develops. If there is a need to shut down operations on the installation due to severe weather, or if Erie County declares a winter road condition advisory level three between Friday, Jan. 12 at 5 p.m. and Saturday, Jan. 13 at 6 a.m. the hunt originally scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 13 will be rescheduled.

All originally drawn hunters selected for this hunt will be rescheduled for a make-up hunt date in January of the following season. These hunters will not be required to re-enter the lottery for the make-up hunt date.

All hunters should monitor https://www.grc.nasa.gov/nasasecurity/nasa-plum-brook-station-deer-hunt/ and the NASA security voicemail at 216-433-3033 for up-to-date hunt information. If Plum Brook Station plans to remain open for the controlled hunts, information will be posted no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 12.

According to Erie County, a Road Condition Advisory Level Three is defined as: Roadways are closed to all non-emergency travel due to extremely hazardous conditions. No one should be on the roadway unless it is absolutely essential to travel. Those operating vehicles on the roadway for non-emergency reasons may be subject to arrest.

Erie County winter road condition advisories can be monitored at www.eriecounty.oh.gov .

At NASA, safety is a priority, and a hunt date will only be rescheduled due to weather if it is in the best interest of both the hunters and Plum Brook’s staff. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

Questions or concerns may be directed to NASA’s Glenn Research Center’s Environmental Management Office at 216-433-3726.

7. JP

JP Active Member

If they do cancel it and give you a hunt next January as stated i hope they hold their promise. I know some are still waiting for their hunt when they promised the same thing for the year they shut it down for 9/11

8. duck rookie

When they cancelled for 9/11 they held true to their word and had all previously drawn hunters for the next year.

d r

9. duck rookie

Well? Did you hunt?

d r

10. JP

JP Active Member

Maybe some, but definitely not all !

11. duck rookie

12. Wolfbangduck

Wolfbangduck Member

I had a Magee or Ottawa cant remember which one I never got a make up date,It was a 9/11 issue not sure if it was that exact date or when they closed it all down for the remainder of the season.

13. duck rookie

Ahhh, I know Plumbrook did carry everyone over to the next year.

d r

14. harryhunter62

harryhunter62 Member

I didn't get a hunt the next year after the government shut down . I never got my clearance back in time to go.