Anybody Hunt in Wayne National Athens District

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by BigDale, Mar 11, 2005.

1. BigDale

BigDale New Member

I have hunted deer off and on there for a while and know the area pretty well. i used to see alot of Turkeys there and that is where i think i will be heading for my first Turkey hunt in April. A few questions, Last time i went deer hunting there after a long run of hunting around Miami County it wasn't all that crowded as it was when I was a kid, Does that hold true over Turkey season or is it very crowded?

If Wayne is slow I may head over to AEP Grounds but I expect they can get VERY crowded

2. DLC

DLC Member

AEP gets hit VERY hard the first week and every weekend. Don't know about Wayne.

3. mrgobucks

mrgobucks New Member

Not much of turkey hunter, but I'm going to school in Athens, so I have hunted Wayne quite a bit for grouse over the last four years as well as private land. I can tell you from my experiences, if you get off the beaten path aways, you will find more success...a word of caution...bring a compass! It's a big place and believe it or not, you can get turned around. I'm only here a couple more days, but if I can be of any help to you let me know.

By the way...there are turkeys everywhere right now. I have seen them in quite a few fields and on hill sides scratch'in it up. Don't forget about Zelaski either...only a short drive from wayne.

Good Luck,
    Marc

4. CODB

CODB New Member

Wayne is awesome. Went to school down by there as well and worked birds everytime out. Good luck.