2 hen mallard proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aaronchaney, Jan 11, 2018.

1. aaronchaney

aaronchaney Member

2018-2019 proposals are out.....hen mallard limit proposed to bump up to
    2. Never thought we'd see that even with so many states doing it for years

2. OWF13

OWF13 Member

I would vote NO !

mjmaurer likes this.

3. jjm

jjm Member

I never understood the obsession with shooting hens.

4. aaronchaney

aaronchaney Member

I have no "obsession" with shooting hens. If given the chance I will shoot all drakes. every state that touches Ohio already has a two hen limit along with many other states.

OhioFisher likes this.
  5. diversdownwest

diversdownwest Member

if its proposed its pretty much done since most everything is set in the fall for the following year.

6. sofakinglazy

sofakinglazy Member

When the gadwalls are around it will help for those who cant identify the difference between a hen mallard and a hen gadwall in flight. Just as the same guys have a hard time telling the difference between a swan and a teal during teal season.

7. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

As a guy who has limited success it will open more opportunities for me to put a couple more into the freezer. I don't think it will make a difference in the population especially since everyone around us can kill two plus whatever the limits are in the lands to the north.

dr

Toner07 likes this.
  8. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Last I checked, they taste the same as drakes.

9. Duckeyes

Duckeyes Member

I may be wrong but I believe this is proposed every year but then it's up to the individual state to choose 1 or 2 hens. from what i've heard we'll be hard pressed to get a 2 hen limit in the near future based on 'research' they've done. (i'm not being sarcastic with the 'research', hopefully someone can speak to it, i dont know all the specifics.)

10. H2OFOWL

H2OFOWL Member

Duckeyes is right. Ohio has been able to shoot two hens for years but elected not to.

11. coyotehoundrunner1

coyotehoundrunner1 New Member

I as well believe it was in last year's proposal but was shot down.

12. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Active Member

No on 2 hens, YES on a Tundra Swan lottery!!

Toner07, MRDUCKS and justinsutter like this.
  13. FEATHERDUSTER

FEATHERDUSTER Member

When trying to tell the difference between a teal and swan in flight, is it best to go by size, or color of the bird?

14. duxdown

duxdown Member

That is hard to tell in the dark. Just sayin.

15. OWF13

OWF13 Member

Wing speed.....

16. eringobragh

eringobragh Member

Lonewader Is dead on., they all taste the same. Let me guess you guys only shoot male geese? Their numbers seem fine . Drake gadwall only? Nah....and they seem fine. always thought the hen thing is kind of an urban myth or a thing for duck snobs

aaronchaney, the_lone_wader and VJW like this.
  17. jjm

jjm Member

A common argument for this proposal always has been other adjacent states do it.
    Do any of the advocates of a 2 mallard hen bag purchase nonresident Kentucky, Michigan,Indiana, or a Pennsylvania license in order to hunt hens? If 1 mallard hen bag limit is such an impediment in Ohio.

18. eringobragh

eringobragh Member

I do hunt Michigan because I live in this area where it is as close to me on a boat ride as many of the Ohio spots I hunt also. I’m not saying it’s a huge deal , just think that the whole don’t shoot hens thing is kinda of an old wives tale type myth people hold on to. Geese and all the other species of ducks get shot with no exception and manage to do fine. Why are hen mallards so sacred to some ? what’s next throw back female walleyes? Good bye spring river and ice fishing

DLC and the_lone_wader like this.
  19. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Honestly , people who can't identify the difference still shoot them now. The only difference would be that they would be brought home instead of stomped into the mud.

I agree with eringobraugh though. I personally shoot drakes only when given the chance (because they make a better picture) , and I have no problem identifying a hen mallard. However, I don't think that not shooting them makes a difference in the bigger scheme of things. I think that was something started a long time ago because it seems like it made since, and it has just stuck amongst duck snobs in spite of research and evidence showing otherwise.

Either way, I'll keep shooting drakes. I'm not above shooting a couple hens if that's what it takes to scratch out a limit on slow days though.

20. Dan_O

Dan_O Active Member

One of the things I love about hunting Canada. Shoot 6 anything. Who cares about dark it is in the early morning or how dark it is a half hour after, fire away boys.

LV2HNT, Toner07 and aaronchaney like this.