Ohio Water Fowl Forums > OWF General Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Goose jerkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
plavo

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default Goose jerkey

Any of you guys have a good receipe to make some jerky out of  geese?  I figured why pay 6 bucks for a bag of beef jerky in the store when I can make my own goose jerky a lot cheaper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Boomn4x4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its easy to make... I just do a "little of this, little of that" recipe.

The important igrediants
Soy based... about a cup of soy sauce for 4-6 breast halvs.
Tablespoon of liquid smoke
Tablespoon of garlic
Tablespoon of black pepper
Teaspoon of cheyene pepper
Tablespoon of brown sugar.

..... from there I'll put whatever I get my hands on in.  Beer, season salt, pepper sauce, whiskey, cummin, chili powder, worchester, ketchup, mustard, honey.. whatever sounds good at the time.

The best way to cook it is in a smoker, but if you don't have one, your oven will work.  Line the bottom of your oven with foil, and skewer one end of the jerky strips on a skewer so that they dangle, then set the skewers on the over rack so that the jerky hangs down... bake on the lowest setting for 4-8 hours (depending on how low your oven goes).  If you don't want to wait that long, you can bump the heat up, but long and slow is the way to go.  If you cook it fast, it'll get crispy.

Panties - Not the worlds greatest thing, but really close to it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
wildbill

High Mountain Jerky Cure that is how we do our jerky.Cut into strips weight it,mix the two packs of seasoning accordiingly.Then set in frig,put on a oven rack and wait a couple hours.Then get your favorite COLD BEER and enjoy.I think it is like $6.00 for enough cure to do 15 lbs.Origanal is a good flavor to start with.My two cents

Aint this price of the gun it's the person pulling the trigger that makes it sing

Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Duckdude
AKA Yo Daddy

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill

High Mountain Jerky Cure that is how we do our jerky.Cut into strips weight it,mix the two packs of seasoning accordiingly.Then set in frig,put on a oven rack and wait a couple hours.Then get your favorite COLD BEER and enjoy.I think it is like $6.00 for enough cure to do 15 lbs.Origanal is a good flavor to start with.My two cents

i agree on the high mountain and like boomn said a smoker makes the best jerky. use a heavy dose of hickory for jerky. just got a meat slicer for christmas and it's the cats ass for making nice thin slices for jerky. in my opinion goose makes the best jerky out of anything i have used (deer included). it's a little bit greasier so it doesn't dry out like deer. lot of blood though so i always slice mine and soak the slices in salt water first. it gets the gamie taste out of it

My parent's said I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up, so I became an *******

Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
wildbill

The only smoker I got is big enough to do a hog in.Can't make that much jerky.Would like to get a little smoker.Making me hungry think I will get a pack of breast out and make some over the weekend.

Aint this price of the gun it's the person pulling the trigger that makes it sing

Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Toner07

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I like the High Mountain as well....although I much prefer grinding my goose meat as opposed to slicing it.

**I love my country but I sure cant stand my government!

**looking for a leader to start the next revolution....we need to take our country back!

** what this country needs is more unemployed politicians

Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Tink

Where do you get the High Mountain?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Roughneck

Gander Mountain carries the High Mountain cures. For those of you that use a smoker for making jerky, which brand of smoker do you recommend? I want to make some jerky myself and I'm trying to decide on buying a smoker or dehydrater.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Tink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck

Gander Mountain carries the High Mountain cures. For those of you that use a smoker for making jerky, which brand of smoker do you recommend? I want to make some jerky myself and I'm trying to decide on buying a smoker or dehydrater.

We've got both.  The dehydrater's are less expensive, but I like the smoker better.  Smoking the jerky give it an exceptionally good flavor.  I can't remember the brand name of the one we've got, but I picked it up at Gander Mountain.  It's a big one though.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #10

Big Chief smoker. You can't go wrong with that classic smoker.

Short Bus Productions and
Guide Services

Quick Reply