You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of OhioWaterfowlerForum.com    
Ohio Water Fowl Forums > OWF General Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Goose flute to short reed conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
tripleb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Goose flute to short reed conversion

I had a couple of flutes laying around I hadn't used in years ... and with good reason.  I was never very good at running a goose flute.  One was a Tim Grounds Guides Best flute and the other was an Olt A50.  I had subbed some short reed guts for the guts of a Half Breed one time and found that it worked pretty well, though without the "rusty door hinge" sound of the Half Breed.

Having some Lynchmob Xfactor guts I wasn't using, I decided to try and shorten the two flutes and see how they sounded.  I shortened the "insert" portion of the flutes to close to the same length as the Half Breed, 2.7" in this case with a tubing cutter, and dressed off the cut ends.  I put the Xfactor guts in but they were a bit loose, so I used a wedge from a set of SR01 guts I had.  That wedge has a little step on the front side and will take up the slack between the gut OD and the insert ID.  You could also just shim the guts, too.

I tried the reed, an E3 reed, with the narrow end and with the wide end.  The best combination I found for me was the wide end, with the reed bow up.

The converted A50 call is made from softer plastic and has a more mellow sound than the harder (glass filled?) plastic of the Guides Best flute.  The converted Guides Best flute with the Xfactor guts, as set up, has a good low end, with a natural buzz sounding quite a bit like the Half Breed, but without the "rusty hinge" effect.  I prefer the "crack" of the Guides Best conversion over that of the more mellow A50 conversion.  If I were to do another, I'd use the same guts.

If you have some straight plastic goose flutes laying around that you aren't using and aren't worth selling, you might consider making the conversion.  The guts are only about $7, plus shipping.

BTW:  I put some duct tape to keep the "barrel" from sliding forward on the flutes.  There isn't a hard "stop" built into the call and where the barrel is positioned on the insert affects the tone and how the call runs.  The duct tape insures it's the same every time the call is taken apart and reassembled.

Shortened Grounds Guides Best Flute

With Xfactor guts installed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
EaglePoint
1 more pass? No Way!

Liked 202 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb
I had a couple of flutes laying around I hadn't used in years ... and with good reason.  I was never very good at running a goose flute.  One was a Tim Grounds Guides Best flute and the other was an Olt A50.  I had subbed some short reed guts for the guts of a Half Breed one time and found that it worked pretty well, though without the "rusty door hinge" sound of the Half Breed.

Having some Lynchmob Xfactor guts I wasn't using, I decided to try and shorten the two flutes and see how they sounded.  I shortened the "insert" portion of the flutes to close to the same length as the Half Breed, 2.7" in this case with a tubing cutter, and dressed off the cut ends.  I put the Xfactor guts in but they were a bit loose, so I used a wedge from a set of SR01 guts I had.  That wedge has a little step on the front side and will take up the slack between the gut OD and the insert ID.  You could also just shim the guts, too.

I tried the reed, an E3 reed, with the narrow end and with the wide end.  The best combination I found for me was the wide end, with the reed bow up.

The converted A50 call is made from softer plastic and has a more mellow sound than the harder (glass filled?) plastic of the Guides Best flute.  The converted Guides Best flute with the Xfactor guts, as set up, has a good low end, with a natural buzz sounding quite a bit like the Half Breed, but without the "rusty hinge" effect.  I prefer the "crack" of the Guides Best conversion over that of the more mellow A50 conversion.  If I were to do another, I'd use the same guts.

If you have some straight plastic goose flutes laying around that you aren't using and aren't worth selling, you might consider making the conversion.  The guts are only about $7, plus shipping.

BTW:  I put some duct tape to keep the "barrel" from sliding forward on the flutes.  There isn't a hard "stop" built into the call and where the barrel is positioned on the insert affects the tone and how the call runs.  The duct tape insures it's the same every time the call is taken apart and reassembled.

Shortened Grounds Guides Best Flute

With Xfactor guts installed.

Tons of history behind those two calls right there. Those were the good old transition years into the goose-hunter's staple SR call.

HR Tango Golden Cash SH "Tango"
Baylee Golden Rose "Bail"
Rockin' Rylee Rose "Rylee" 12/20/08

U.S.W.A. Local #169
Arkansas Duck Camp 2010 & 11
ON, Canada 2012

Ithaca Mag-10, Remington SP-10
Browning Maxus & Silver

Federal Heavyweight
Kent Tungsten Matrix
Hevi-Shot

Kent Cullum's-Hobo Prime Meat, Greg Hood's-Nasty Boy & Hoodwink Tru Dat, Mike McLemore's-Mallard Magnet & Real Deal

Mike Stelzner's-C&S Disciple, Tim Ground's-Real Thang

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
IMissed

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

good ol' tripleB, always modifying something! EVERYTHING!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
tripleb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissed
I was about to send three flutes to a friend in England, when I decided, rather than sending him 3 low performing calls, a Lohman 5000, Olt A50 and the Grounds Guides Best, I'd see if the two straight flutes could be modified to run as short reeds.  That way he could learn how to use a more versatile call, a short reed.  The converted Guides Best sounds so good, he's only getting the Lohman and the converted Olt.

Apparently, while they will call pinkfoot geese, they don't normally use calls for hunting Canada geese.  Over there, an Olt A50 is the ne plus ultra of goose calls.  They're a bit behind the times on goose calls.

Use Enough Gun - Robert Ruark

Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...

i believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun.....

-Nash Buckingham

HAVE 10GA., SILVER HAILSTORM, AND WILL PASS SHOOT FOR GEESE

HEVISHOT? HEVISHOT? WE DON NEED NO STINKIN HEVISHOT!!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
AvianHunter

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Quote:
I was about to send three flutes to a friend in England, when I decided, rather than sending him 3 low performing calls, a Lohman 5000, Olt A50 and the Grounds Guides Best, I'd see if the two straight flutes could be modified to run as short reeds.  That way he could learn how to use a more versatile call, a short reed.  The converted Guides Best sounds so good, he's only getting the Lohman and the converted Olt.

Apparently, while they will call pinkfoot geese, they don't normally use calls for hunting Canada geese.  Over there, an Olt A50 is the ne plus ultra of goose calls.  They're a bit behind the times on goose calls.

A friend in England eh?
Any chance he has a double barrel 4 or 6 gauge for sale? 

Never tell a hermaphrodite to stay within themselves or they'll never leave the house - Coach Ralph Fontaine

Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
tripleb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianHunter
Quote:
Quote:

A friend in England eh?
Any chance he has a double barrel 4 or 6 gauge for sale? 
I can ask if he knows of any.  There are a few guys who use them with black powder loads.  That makes for some impressive pyrotechnic displays when they're flighting geese under the light of a full moon, I'll wager.

-Nash Buckingham

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
tripleb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One more bit of information about possible suitable guts for the conversion.  And, this also applies to anyone who has a C&S Apostle, whether polycarb version, or hand turned.  I tried some clucker guts with the wide end of the E3 reed in my longest Apostle goose call (4.2" long), with the reed bow down, and it ran very well. Not much air is required to run the call. It can be very loud, but could also be choked down to make low volume buzz clucks, moans and murmurs. And, the call had a good, goosey "buzz" to it. I'd definitely try that combination.

The reed was set so the distance from the reed tip to the front edge of the wedge was .565", right on the alignment groove of the tone board.

-Nash Buckingham

Quick Reply